• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moulting....

georgalapr

Moving in
Hi Everyone,

We have had our lovely linnie hen, Pickles since Oct 2020 and for the last 3 months she has been moulting continuously. Not her whole body but her head mostly.

Is this normal for linnies or does it indicate an issue with her diet or overall health. She currently eats a mixture of pellets and seeds and has fresh fruit and vegetables every day.

Thanks!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Diet sounds good. Has she gotten a clean bill of health from the vet? Molting has much to do with season and light. My girls are looking very raggedy these days and I'm praying for a molt to begin. I'll be waiting to see if others respond.

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
I’m not sure about others, but I saw that my dark green male Machi seemed to moult on and off for a few months (I can’t remember how long it was but I know it was longer than 3 months)
I brought him to a vet 2 times during that time for an unrelated incident and the vet never saw that anything was wrong with him so I just decided to keep an eye on him. He seems to have finished a while back without any issue so I figured that Linnies just go through a moult in little bursts. I’ll have to see how my new creamino female fares.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Probably the most important thing to consider about molting is that you shouldn't see any bald patches on the bird, a molt can be heavy but any bare spots definitely warrant a trip to the vet just to make sure. My two boys molt about twice a year, they just started this week (with their tail feathers.) Birds can have molting problems, like my conure, who would molt mostly his head and neck until the vet put him on an iodine supplement, now he's molting all his feathers, albeit slowly.