• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moulting Season - Can i put my male canary into the same cage with the female?

RTjio

Moving in
Hi everyone,

I thought because this is a breeder group then you shall know about this better.
So i purchased a male canary two weeks ago for my female's companion and he is currently on quarantine time.
They seems so keen to meet each other so far (chirping happily if i put the cage side by side and if i let them go out, they will fly into each other cage).
They are currently both moulting and specially the female looked like she lost a lot more feathers than the male.
The female is born on 2020 while the male on 2019.
Soon he will be free from quarantine, but my question is, is that okay if i put them on the same cage during this moulting season?
Will it caused stress on both male and female? Should i leave them to focus on the moulting until April?
Moulting season in Sydney shall be around January - April.
I really need an advice. Thank you so much.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You've already broken quarantine by just having them in the same area, so that is not a consideration any more.
As with any birds it's best to make introductions out of the cage so one bird can escape the other if necessary. Let them decide whether to live together.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If their cages are side-by-side and they are allowed out together, then the male is not being quarantined properly. The purpose of quarantine is to keep the new bird completely separate for a period of time while you observe for signs of illness. By keeping the new bird away from your current birds, you can prevent disease from spreading if they turn out to be sick.

Ideally quarantine should last for at least four weeks with no contact between the new bird and your current bird(s). Introductions should wait until after quarantine is completely finished, assuming the new bird shows no signs of illness.

Anyways, I would let them finish their moult in separate cages. It will give both birds a chance to focus on growing feathers and building up their strength. They can still get to know each other and spend time together out of the cage while living in seperate enclosures, so you can assess their compatibility.