• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moulting period and duration

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find an answer on the forum.

I haven't thought much of Preeno moulting until realising that it's been around a month. From what I've read online it's usually not that long?

He's still losing feathers and has quite a number of pinnies so I don't think he's plucking. No bare patches but his feathers are patchy since he's lost so many. He also dropped two wing feathers which surprised me because I thought they only grew out like 2 months ago? I may be wrong about when they grew out but not that long ago since I've only had him 3 months.

I'm hoping this is normal? I've never experienced a bird moulting so this is all new! He's been pretty happy and his normal budgie self.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Silver has just finished his first moult, all 7 weeks of it. Every budgie and each of their moults are different.
One thing to remember is budgies constantly lose down feathers so there will alway be a few floating around even with a solo budgie. So a few down feathers on the floor doesn't necessarily mean they're moulting.

clarousel

Silver has just finished his first moult, all 7 weeks of it. Every budgie and each of their moults are different.
One thing to remember is budgies constantly lose down feathers so there will alway be a few floating around even with a solo budgie. So a few down feathers on the floor doesn't necessarily mean they're moulting.
Ah okay! Didn't realise it could go on for so long. He's losing mostly the regular feathers along with a few down feathers.

I'm guessing I'll know when the end of the moult is when he's no longer dropping regular feathers?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some budgies seem to molt every month and make a feather mess. I dont think there is a schedule as it is different with different birds. When my budgies were with me Murphy always had the worse molt and feather loss. Micke came into it just after Murphy finished so I always had feathers flying.

clarousel

Should I be concerned about the bare patch under his left wing? I read that birds drop feathers symmetrically but he didn't drop any of his right wing feathers. I see a few tiny feathers growing out and he's flying fine though!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Should I be concerned about the bare patch under his left wing? I read that birds drop feathers symmetrically but he didn't drop any of his right wing feathers. I see a few tiny feathers growing out and he's flying fine though!
Blizzard never drops her flight feathers symmetrically, it’s usually one set at a time which caused some issues when she was still clipped (she could only fly in circles)

Under the wing is always a patchy place, so its probably okay but if youre worried about it, you can check how it looks everyday.

clarousel

Blizzard never drops her flight feathers symmetrically, it’s usually one set at a time which caused some issues when she was still clipped (she could only fly in circles)

Under the wing is always a patchy place, so its probably okay but if youre worried about it, you can check how it looks everyday.
Ah okay good to know! :)

I tried to have a closer look at his wing and I think I saw a tiny tiny pin feather coming out in the centre of the bare patch. Will keep an eye on it, thank you!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I had this same concern but was also told it was normal :)
My boys both started their molt at the end of JUNE and aren't done! I haven't found any "big" feathers lately but Cypress still has a few pin feathers around his head and neck, and a few little patches of baby stripe left on his forehead.

Citrine *might* be done now.. his weight has finally gone back up a couple of grams this week.. his cap is a pretty solid yellow now, but he doesn't get handled as much as Cypress does so I may have overlooked any lingering pin feathers.
(Cypress is just more tolerate of it but also a freaking klutz who has to be picked up and rescued sometimes)

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I took a look at my Citrine when he was out for lunch today and yup - he still has pin sheaths around his neck/shoulders too.
This is going on foreeeeever lol

I have a collection :D I am betting there are a bunch I never found somewhere.. behind the bookcase or something.
20200714_092934.jpg

clarousel

I took a look at my Citrine when he was out for lunch today and yup - he still has pin sheaths around his neck/shoulders too.
This is going on foreeeeever lol

I have a collection :D I am betting there are a bunch I never found somewhere.. behind the bookcase or something.
View attachment 349696
Yes I wonder how long Preeno will moult for!

So exciting though to see the new feathers grow out! :cantwait:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Some budgies will go through periods where it seems that they are moulting. Then they are OK for awhile. Others will seem to moult constantly. Both these scenarios are normal. Sam is going through what I would call her 3rd extreme moult. By that I mean that she is loosing important feathers. Her flight feathers as well as some secondary feathers. She looses her soft downy feathers all the time however. This is normal. When they loose their major feathers however they may seem tired or even cranky. This is also normal. Every budgie is different and will not follow a set timing for loss od feathers. Just know that this is pretty much normal..