• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moulting or mites?

Ellencc

Checking out the neighborhood
I have used a magnifying glass to check for mites on my Bungie and I cannot find any, so I want to know do bungees itch a lot when they are molting. She is scratching a lot and She has pulled out a couple of medium feathers so far this evening. Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is really hard to say one way or the other based on your description. When they are molting they do fuss with their feathers more because they need to preen the new ones out of their keratin sheaths, and sometimes when they are preening they dislodge some feathers that were ready to go. They don't pull out their feathers, though - that would be plucking behavior.

Here is some info on mites:

Ellencc

Thank you. She is only 6 months old and I have no idea how early birds molt. She is very active and very happy but there are times she just scratches like crazy, rubs her head on the bars of the cage Etc. I will keep a close eye on her and if I notice anything out of the ordinary I will take her into the Vet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She is likely molting but a vet could say for sure if she might have mites. (both at same time is a possibility)

Bathes could probably help in the meantime. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Typically indoor birds don't get mites. One way to try to tell is put white paper on the bottom of the cage at bedtime. If in the morning, there are dark specs on it, it might be mites. My guess is, she's molting though. If it is mites, they should be treated by a vet, not any of the over the counter things they sell.

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
I’m sure she’s just molting but to be safe you should order some mite spray for parrots ahead of time just in case she ever gets mites.
good luck!

Noels

Moving in
Real Name
Abigail
Hi This is Noel I found him on a street 2 days before Christmas as we have fallen for him big time
In last week he’s starting itching madly and have started offering baths to him every day
Do you think it’s a skin infection or Molting ? Any advice greatly appreciated

Attachments

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Ooooh no, that bird is really not well. He shouldn't be itching to the point of hurting himself. He definitely needs to be seen by an avian vet as soon as possible.

Mites can be treated easily, and you'll need to clean and disinfect the cage and everything in it. Mites can hide out in the teeniest cracks, so make sure you get everything clean.

Noels

Moving in
Real Name
Abigail
The red patches are visa blue till he settles him wings down looks terrible doesn’t it I’m starting to think he didn’t escape but was released? Is there any ointment I could buy I don’t think there is an avian vet where I live?

QUOTE="PoukieBear, post: 3182063, member: 10557"]
Ooooh no, that bird is really not well. He shouldn't be itching to the point of hurting himself. He definitely needs to be seen by an avian vet as soon as possible.

Mites can be treated easily, and you'll need to clean and disinfect the cage and everything in it. Mites can hide out in the teeniest cracks, so make sure you get everything clean.
[/QUOTE]

Noels

Moving in
Real Name
Abigail
The red patches are visible till he settles down feathers. I mean.
Oh dear poor little guy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What area do you live in , maybe we can help you find a vet. Although avian vets are preferable a lot of non avian vets still treat birds. I would take this little guy to a vet as soon as possible. @PoukieBear ? @Birdbabe ?

Noels

Moving in
Real Name
Abigail
Bring Noel to vet tomorrow hoping he’ll be ok. Since we rescued him from a town street we have really fallen for him. I’ll let you know how we get on tomorrow.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Bring Noel to vet tomorrow hoping he’ll be ok. Since we rescued him from a town street we have really fallen for him. I’ll let you know how we get on tomorrow.
Yes, please keep us posted.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Please put up posters (without picture) in case he was not released and is someone's lost pet while you get him the vet care he needs.

Noels

Moving in
Real Name
Abigail
I left my name in local pet shop with pic of him
Brought to vet although vet couldn’t see any notes on him and we collected bottom of cage for microscope but nothing
He’s on a mite treatment now 2 drops on back of neck every 2 weeks 3 times
But today he seems to have a swollen tongue and his making clicking sounds at first I thought he was chewing seeds but now realise it’s his tongue? Any ideas I don’t tk vet examined him enough got away twice during exam

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is the mite treatment something the vet prescribed? Is he eating and drinking okay?

@Monica ? @Mizzely ?

Ellencc

I’m sure she’s just molting but to be safe you should order some mite spray for parrots ahead of time just in case she ever gets mites.
good luck!
Thank you everyone for all the replies. All is well with Miss Stormy. Guess I got a little anxious too soon. She is doing absolutely great with no further incidence with her feathers or itching.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Be aware that mite drops/sprays etc are insecticides so dangerous to the bird's respiratory system, etc. His tongue may be swollen having preened the mite drop area.