• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moulting moodiness in budgies?

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
Hi everyone
Winston (8-10 months) is going through, I think, his third moult with new pin feathers.
I’ve noticed based on the last couple that he seems to get moody and grumpy, less generally happy.
Is this normal in your experience?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Yes, they do tend to get grumpier. Make sure to feed extra veggies to help develop those new feathers. Also, if he allows you, give him a scritch to ease itchiness and discomfort.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My Budgie seems to stay the same, my SC2 is just a cranky shifty poophead all the time with me so it is hard to see mood changes in him but my Macaw does get a little frustrated and he is much less patient and tolerant when he is heavily molting.
I have been told growing the larger feathers (flights and tail) is possibly quite similar to us humans cutting a tooth as far as discomfort goes, I was told to feed extra protein to help the growing feathers and offer extra bathing opportunities to ease the itching and discomfort.

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
Not sure if anyone sees the updates, but: an amazing difference after a few days. He’s so happy and normal now - I think that he gets particularly bothered at the stage where there are visible pin feathers coming through his crest.
The day I couldn’t see them there anymore, he was back to his regular self (even if there are still some emerging elsewhere)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m glad Winston is feeling better. My budgies can become grumpy or flighty and easily frightened. Their usual ability to fly is affected during a molt, and as prey animals, they can make them more on edge.

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
I’m glad Winston is feeling better. My budgies can become grumpy or flighty and easily frightened. Their usual ability to fly is affected during a molt, and as prey animals, they can make them more on edge.
Good point