• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I just ordered a 10 pound bag of Goldenfeast for $30 & it's full of webs... I shoved it into the freezer, but I'm kind of disgusted. What should I do?

We really really need a gag icon. :D

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
They are harmless,actually, but the bag of seed might be a little old if you are already seeing the moths. You might contact the supplier to see if you can exchange it. Otherwise, the moths are not going to hurt your birds or anything. If you can't exchange it or anything don't worry about it.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Nikki Jamie is right it should be ok still.

Gag icon...:rofl:

Yeah really can't see a real gag one, so I will say this one for moths:jawdrop:.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Jamie, the first thing I checked was the expiration date & it has almost a year to go. Just knowing they're there grosses me out <insert gag icon here>... But if you say they are harmless then I might overlook it. I know grizzly bears like to eat moths for their protein... :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
:hehe:

Alright we need to see this gag icon.

Moths are not gag icon though. lol

Spiders, snakes, puke those are gag icon worthy.:rofl:

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
LOL, yes they will add some extra protein. If the bag was sealed up nicely when you brought it home, the seeds are still probably ok. Did you see any signs of mold or smell anything unusual? That would be the only thing that would worry me. A couple of days in the freezer will kill the moths and any other insects that are in the bag.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
with a spoon dude!

I've heard it's still ok, but I would defintely contact the supplier like Jamie said and get them to exchange it... that's just gross!!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
LMBO.............Nikki I do think that little green guy is about to blow chow.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
:hehe:

Alright we need to see this gag icon.

Moths are not gag icon though. lol

Spiders, snakes, puke those are gag icon worthy.:rofl:
No, it was pretty gag worthy putting your hand in the bag & pulling out a handful of webs... Now I feel that I got them clinging all over me! *GAG!* :rofl:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
LOL, yes they will add some extra protein. If the bag was sealed up nicely when you brought it home, the seeds are still probably ok. Did you see any signs of mold or smell anything unusual? That would be the only thing that would worry me. A couple of days in the freezer will kill the moths and any other insects that are in the bag.
I haven't really inspected it just pushed it into the freezer as fast as I could! When Trev gets home I'll make him inspect it! :D

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Oh boy that guy is Ralphing!! :lol:

Poor helpless little moths in your freezer wishing they had brought thier sweaters along. :hehe:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Oh boy that guy is Ralphing!! :lol:

Poor helpless little moths in your freezer wishing they had brought thier sweaters along. :hehe:
So are you going to use them? Huh huh? Come on Kristy you know we need Mr. Gag! :rofl:

Don't worry about the moths, Sunday is knitting them lil' sweaters! :lol:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Jill added the first gag guy.

Knit, pearl, knit.........lol

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Yeah, for Jill! I didn't think you would add the second, he is kind of gross! :rofl:

birdergirl

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
Let me speak from experience. I feed "outdoor pets" also and have lots of horror stories about "Mothra" to share. If you put it in the freezer for a few days, then whatever was alive won't be any more. Remember that all birds eat insects. It's extra protein for them, even if it grosses out us humans! MOST important is that the little buggers were contained. You don't want to go through what I did with moths (I'll share the stories another time.)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Nikki we can tell Rhonda does not need the new :gag: man.:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.