• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mother is starving her budgie to train it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I feel most of the replies here will be slightly inappropriate @Birdbabe simply because of how inappropriate this poor young persons mother is behaving towards her bird and also her child.
This has been seriously concerning and bothering me since I read it.
I really feel for them both as the mother sounds like a very mentally unwell person to believe that such cruelty to the bird is acceptable or beneficial to a positive outcome and such hostility towards her child for doing the right thing and having compassion and empathy and wanting to treat animals as they legally deserve to be treated.
This whole situation is terribly sad. As a younger person I think seeing this and being so helpless to intervene would have been enough for me to do something drastic like grab the bird and run or steal the bird to give it away- this would have destroyed my heart and soul.

@Seigan I sincerely hope things will improve for you and this poor tortured bird too, you both deserve much better. I’m sorry for speaking unpleasantly about your mother.... it in no way was meant to be hurtful (same as the other members) but you need to know that you are right and she is not dealing with this situation she’s created in a sane, logical or useful manor. You are not being too soft or whatever it was her words were...... you are being a perfectly healthy and normal human with good sense and great morals. :sadhug2::sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You can withdraw attention when they are too vocal & praise a bird when they are good but witholding food will only make the situation worse. Its a concentration camp mentality. I hope she treats you better & luckily you have grown up with intelligence & a heart...

A bird is a bird & they sing at the joys of life but they will also make alot of stressful noise when they are hungry & thirsty so the mere thought that starving them or giving food only when they are good is not normal...

Can you talk to another family member or a school counselor...It might help you & the bird to find some solution

Hang in there...

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I, too, worry about the mental stability of your mother. These 2 birds are living beings. All living beings deserve to receive the necessities of life. Food, water, kindness and clean living conditions. It would seem that your mother is confusing the necessities of life with "pampering". How long has this been going on? You sound afraid of your mother. Forgive me but I am incredibly angry that someone could treat a helpless little bird this way. Do you have anyone else that could stand up to your mother? Something needs to be done.

Last edited:

Sandra Gibson

Walking the driveway
That is animal abuse!!!! she should re home them to someone who will care for them, She should not own a bird id she cannot handle the noise our Birds make... Sorry but true.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I avoided your post, and I'm sorry you're also stuck in this situation. Cruelty comes in so much variety. You sound like you've gotten creative about dealing with it, and that is excellent and will serve you well in the future. I hope you can take it a few steps further to remedy this situation for the birds, and keep yourself above suspicion. Heartbreaking situation. Just heartbreaking.