• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Mother and Father parakeet refuse to feed there new baby parakeet

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
My parakeets baby recently hatched and is making sounds signaling its hungry more of a cry while it’s mother sits on it and dosent feed it at all, that is all the info I can give and any help given will be appreciated thanks in advance

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What are the ages of the parents birds and please describe where the nest is located, if you are often looking in at the nest and what you are feeding the parent birds. We need more details of what is happening. Are the chicks crops budging? Is this the first time these two birds have had babies? What is your experience in all this?

@finchly @Monica

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes answer to Lady Jane's all questions if we should manage to help you.
If they are beginner's and young they don't know what to do and you must feed the baby formula or it will die. If you haven't done that before leave it to someone that can.
Stress can make them abonded and even kill their babies so don't disturb them more then necessary.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
they might be feeding it as they feed them every few hours and maybe your hearing it everytime it needs refeeding

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
What are the ages of the parents birds and please describe where the nest is located, if you are often looking in at the nest and what you are feeding the parent birds. We need more details of what is happening. Are the chicks crops budging? Is this the first time these two birds have had babies? What is your experience in all this?

@finchly @Monica
Around 1 year old both parents, first Time they have had babys, nest is in the back of the cage, I check in every 1 hr or maybe more 3hrs?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
While I am no expert on this subject we have tagged those that are. Me think you are checking the nest too often and it makes them nervous. Also they are a bit on the young side for raising chicks, around 2 years of better. Did you nutritionally condition the parent birds before the eggs were laid?

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
We give them all the nutrients and food they need for egg laying and feeding, and this is there first time having baby’s and dealing with this

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would separate them so no breeding takes place and they rest. You will have to hand feed the babies if you are sure parents are not feeding.