• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Most stable cockatoo (mentally)?

Psittacine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anonymous :)
I have been thinking of getting one of these two birds. A congo african grey, or a type of cockatoo. I understand each have their ups and downs, but both are something I want in a pet bird. I do have experience. I've always wanted a cockatoo, however the mental constraints have been worrying me about doing so. However, a couple articles I have read state some of these cockatoos are more stable than others. Do you agree? If so, which cockatoo has the least...well...inclination to become bald/scream? (I understand all birds have their ups and downs...and will ALWAYS be loud dusk and dawn) I have been lead to believe that the black 'toos are more stable (I couldn't afford one, unless there are black 'toos under $4,000, which is my budget). Is this true? Leadbeaters? Ducorps/goffins? Lesser Sulphur Cresteds? Thanks Everyone for your help! :highfive:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Hi there, welcome to AA! I love you siggy:)

I'd say they're all mentally stable if you raise and handle them right:)

Psittacine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
thanks tons! Wow...19,248 posts...imagine counting that high...and all the thought that goes into those posts. I'm amazed :) Anyway, if i got a 'too, it would have to be female. i hear males are very...well...."joyful", if you will. May I ask what bird myko was, and what bird Pua is? Thanks :):dance4:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mimi (Myko) was a European starling. Very smart intelligent girl!

Pua is a red lored amazon:)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think you can use the word stable with parrots. They all have innate behaviors that work well for them in the wild when communicating with their own kind and escaping from native predators, but require some compromise in captivity. I think the most mentally stable large parrots in terms of ability to adapt to life with people are the amazons. However, they have their own issues and its normally not the bird being crazy, just the bird being a bird and people not being able to adjust. Its just amazons aren't likely to pluck themselves if you screw up. A cockatoo or african grey will. I would guess in many cases cockatoos and african greys are pretty similar in terms of emotional complexity. Its just the cockatoos are more likely to make you feel it if you aren't doing something right. Personally, I think the most mentally stable cockatoo might be the bare eyed cockatoos. I've heard of very few of those becoming pluckers or phobic. However, even they can have problems if life doesn't treat them well and I have seen a phobic bare eyed. I think for many people african greys seem easier. I'm not sure that's true though because I think both 'toos and greys have similar intelligence but express it differently. Both really should have alot of toys and mental stimulation. The grey may or may not give you more of a break in terms of need for physical contact. As far as I can tell that depends a lot on the grey. With a cockatoo, you can almost count on needing a few hours every week for physical hands on the bird time. And yes, as you mentioned, girl birds are easier. For a first time potential 'too buyer, I'd suggest a girl.
My personal favorites of the cockatoos are the sulfur crests. With emphasis on the lessors, citrons, eleanoras and galeritas. Tritons seem a little more umbrella like. I like sulfers because they are a little more independent but still snuggly, you still get the gorgeous big cockatoo crest and large cockatoo behavior. Just a little less prone to problems than umbrellas or moluccans. Although, the sulfers do still have their aggressive and emotionally complex individuals. They aren't really THAT different from the U2s or M2s.

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
When you say "Cockatoo" I cant help but think of all the different flavors these birds come in. They all have thier own species profiles and general behaviors, but Cockatoos especially seem to be amazingly individualistic birds, and I find it hard to recommend a specie. There are some truths, such as Umbrellas tend to be cuddle bugs, Goffins tend to be very intelligent and mechanically inclined, and the Galas tend to be high energy, but the individuals are so very unique and different depending on upbringing. So many factors go into how they turn out. The same for African Greys. They are universally intelligent, but each one has such very different quirks. It may be better to go find a shelter or rescue and interact with individuals rather than go off of a specie profile, unless you are after a baby to hand raise.

Best of luck! <3

JLOCKHART29

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Like you I did about 2 years researching parrots and Toos in particular after I lost my Nanday after 25 years. A little over a year ago I brought home my partially parent raised, fully fledged and abundant weaned Bare Eyed girl.
She is a hand full! lol Fully flighted and just a mess...in a good way! Even so boo would not recommend her for the average person. She is in constant motion. Unlike the big Toos I have been around I could never leave her out unsupervised. She would kill her self or destroy the place. Fearless pretty much sums her up. As such she has a huge cage I completely rearranged every week. Perches and toys. Bamboo, pine cones as well as sweet gum limbs to chew. She would be a little screamer if I didn't watch it. Perfect no but perfect for me and so far very stable BUT she is still young!

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I have a Citron and one of their "traits" is that they tend to be more independant than say a U2 or M2. Not much bothers Nelly unless it's an upcoming storm. She has been (25 years together) pretty even tempered and adaptable to new things. I have to say this...ONCE YOU HAVE A TOO YOU ARE HOOKED LOL

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i have an M2 and he is MOST DEFINITELY NOT stable. :eek:

:lol:sorry, just had to throw my two cents in. :p

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I agree wholeheartedly with Melissa. Greys and 'toos are much less forgiving of foibles. I think some people's lifestyles, temperaments, and requirements match up with some species better than others. The terms we use to describe traits and companion behavior are both subjective and general. For example, you often see GWs described as gentle giants. People perceive a connotation of perpetual non-aggressive behavior or a constant, laid back personality with the word gentle. Then, their cute, "gentle" male GW hits sexual maturity. To me, parrots are more individual than say, dogs, and are not domesticated enough for us to know the parents' pet qualities. Many psittacine breeders have simply never been pets. And how do we universally quantify cuddly or noisy? I don't think we can. One sun conure or Quaker sounding off makes me long for oblivion, but I barely notice multiple macaws, unless we're talking about abnormal screaming, that is. What is cuddly, sweet, talkative, or "mentally stable" to one is intolerable or doesn't fit in another's home.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I did lots of research and narrowed my 'too search down to these: slenderbilleds, Galeritas, Ducorps, and galahs. From there, I settled on an SB2; Gossamer will be here at the end of this month. I think you need to do LOTS of research and get anecdotes from people about their daily experiences living with birds that interest you. And try to handle or interact with as many as you can, which can be difficult. The bottom line, to me, is that you find a parrot that picks YOU, or you fall in love and commit to working through a lifelong relationship that will have bumps in the road. Love is the great equalizer and will let you deal with behaviors, hormones, etc. and be able to overlook or work through them. IMO.

Silvra

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
I believe, from what I've read, that with cockatoos, how they're reared has a huge impact on their sanity levels later on. You've got a higher chance of having a sane pet if it's been parent reared, co-parented or only been pulled for hand rearing well after its eyes have opened. I had an avian vet mention that to me as well so I'm fairly certain that there's some evidence behind it.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think activity and enrichment are crucial, in addition to finding a 'too that knows it's a bird. Tired birds make happy caregivers, IMO! I would characterize my BTM as "needy." When he's enjoying "out" time, I have to be conscious of providing positive reinforcement in the forms of treats, verbal praise, and short periods of scritching and kisses to reward him for playing independently on a play gym. Also, if I want ambient time (little hands-on), I try to avoid eye contact until he's immersed in playing independently, or he'll fly to me. So far, he's not a neurotic screamer and can amuse himself. I will do that with my SB2, also.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have a (1 year-old) galah and I'd say he's very stable; no screaming, plucking, or other "problem" behaviors so far. He's a hyperactive, nippy, destructive little snot, so definitely a handful, but not unstable. They seem to be known as the "easiest" cockatoos.

I, too have read that it makes a big difference how they are raised, and how long they were left with the parents.

bygbyron3

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Byron
A Gossamer! :)

Psittacine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thanks everyone! I am considering a citron, bare-eyed and Leadbeaters...so many choices. I am going to read mytoos.com again....for the 9th time. It is something about cockatoos i've always loved and have always wanted one. Looks like all that's stopping me is the species/availability. :dance5:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I took in Sambo, 35 year old Bare-eyed Cockatoo/Corella, a few months ago… he was supposed to be a foster, however, he quickly became/grew attached to my mum, and vice versa, and took a disliking to me, so seeing how happy he was, I couldn’t take him away from her, and he belongs to my mum now, whom he is much happier with. :)

If I had to describe Sambo, I would say he is a comical little bird, really clownish, goofy, and intelligent, but he is also very, very demanding, destructive (typical) and LOUD (I can hear him from down the road around the corner). :eek: He has a lively personality, and he is friendly, despite not liking me, outgoing, and he loves interacting with my mum, you can always tell he looks forward to it… he is playful too, they are always on the go though, and IMO, too mischievous for their own good. :lol:Oh yeah, he is the messiest bird out of our birds as well, something he loves to do is flick and fling food everywhere, so there is lots of cleaning up, not to mention the toys he goes through, and the mess he leaves from them afterwards. :rolleyes:

Good luck on making the decision, the rewards are enormous when owning a Cockatoo, even through the tough patches!

Last edited: