• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Most And Least Hormonal Birds?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I was curious of you guy's opinion on the most and least hormonal birds.
Lately my beloved cockatiel has gotten better, but he still is territorial of his cage and is a little too interested in dark corners or shelves. Just the other day he throwing a fit and was nipping me while on my lap, and went to the edge of the chair and spread his wings territorial-like.:rolleyes: It's the price for scritches.;)

Anyway, I never really read/expected much about cockatiels being like this. I am interested in you guy's opinions and experiences on which birds are the most hormonal, and which are the least. It is largely individual-based, but I've read that caiques, large cockatoos, quakers, lovebirds, eclectus, and hawkheads seem to be more renowned for hormones. I don't know much about the least, maybe small birds including budgies, other keets, cockatiels, senegals, conures?
Share your two cents:2cents:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am interested in you guy's opinions and experiences on which birds are the most hormonal, and which are the least.
Not many members have interacted with every species in order to compare them to each other.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is highly dependent on MANY factors

How the bird was raised (by humans or by birds)
Light cycle
Sleep cycle
Diet
How the bird is handled daily
If the bird is a lone bird vs in a flock
Toy types
Activities provided
Cage size/location
Individual bird

Probably more!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Like @Mizzely said, there are too many factors that play into it. Of my three female cockatiels, only one is occasionally hormonal, which presents itself with eggs being laid. When I had my male cockatiel, Twilight, he was more moody, and didn’t like being touched, but I never really thought of it as being because of hormones, it was just who he was. He didn’t like his personal space being invaded either, bless his little heart. :heart:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
As soon as the 'Individual Bird' factor comes into play everything else becomes insignificant.
Basically it's about the bird, not species or hand/parent raised or anything else.
If your mother raised your twin brother the same way she raised you and your brother turned out to be gay but you're not can you work out why? Nope. He just is.

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Not many members have interacted with every species in order to compare them to each other.
Correct:) But a lot of members have/had/know birds. And can give insight into that species.

This is highly dependent on MANY factors

How the bird was raised (by humans or by birds)
Light cycle
Sleep cycle
Diet
How the bird is handled daily
If the bird is a lone bird vs in a flock
Toy types
Activities provided
Cage size/location
Individual bird

Probably more!
:)You're right! It is highly dependent on many factors!

Like @Mizzely said, there are too many factors that play into it. Of my three female cockatiels, only one is occasionally hormonal, which presents itself with eggs being laid. When I had my male cockatiel, Twilight, he was more moody, and didn’t like being touched, but I never really thought of it as being because of hormones, it was just who he was. He didn’t like his personal space being invaded either, bless his little heart. :heart:
:) Thanks for sharing your experiences
As soon as the 'Individual Bird' factor comes into play everything else becomes insignificant.
Basically it's about the bird, not species or hand/parent raised or anything else.
If your mother raised your twin brother the same way she raised you and your brother turned out to be gay but you're not can you work out why? Nope. He just is.
I see your point:) But one can still make generalizations. Otherwise, all birds would be labeled the same.
I hope that makes sense, I'm not very good with words;)
(For instance, caiques are known as the clowns of the bird world. You know why, because a large majority of them are very playful.)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
(For instance, caiques are known as the clowns of the bird world. You know why, because a large majority of them are very playful.)
The point I was trying to make is you can't just go up to every Caique and state that it's a playful bird until you see it 'being' playful. You can't say GCCs are cuddly because not all GCCs are cuddly. The definition is in the act, not the name. So yeah, we're in agreement.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A healthy hormonal male cockatoo is a tyrant. A hormonal budgie is like free lunch. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also depends on what you mean exactly by hormonal.

My most hormonal bird that I've had so far is my 20 year old Jardine's. He regurgitates and masturbates several times a day. Compared to two Quakers, a green check, and Hahns!

The two quakers were both male, neither of them "hormonal" but one is tame and aggressive, while the other was untame and not aggressive.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Female ekkies get crazy vicious when hormonal. I have had female budgies, canaries, tiels, conures, and several kinds of toos but have never encountered anything that even compares to Lucy! Males have nothing on her.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
The point I was trying to make is you can't just go up to every Caique and state that it's a playful bird until you see it 'being' playful. You can't say GCCs are cuddly because not all GCCs are cuddly. The definition is in the act, not the name. So yeah, we're in agreement.
You're right.:) That's why I was interested in members' experiences with birds and hormones.

Least hormonal birds - adults of most species...imo.... :loveshower: and babies
Thanks for replying! Babies for sure:heart:

A healthy hormonal male cockatoo is a tyrant. A hormonal budgie is like free lunch. :)
Yep, there's quite a difference ;)

I truly dont believe your question has an answer.
That is an interesting take.:)

Also depends on what you mean exactly by hormonal.

My most hormonal bird that I've had so far is my 20 year old Jardine's. He regurgitates and masturbates several times a day. Compared to two Quakers, a green check, and Hahns!

The two quakers were both male, neither of them "hormonal" but one is tame and aggressive, while the other was untame and not aggressive.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!:) It depends on what YOU think hormonal means;)

Female ekkies get crazy vicious when hormonal. I have had female budgies, canaries, tiels, conures, and several kinds of toos but have never encountered anything that even compares to Lucy! Males have nothing on her.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!:) That's very interesting!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
All I can say is that Lucy has an awesome environment to play in, gets more than plenty attention, has more toys than imaginable, eats the best ekkie diet ever, and has quarterly vet health checks. Not to mention a beautiful new day spa! Yet this morning I knew she was at the start of her hormonal cycle because I walked in with nice warm blueberry breakfast bowls for them and she tried to attack me! So she's back on cage restriction (don't worry, she has a beautiful 5x5x7 macaw cage) until she's back to her normal self.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
All I can say is that Lucy has an awesome environment to play in, gets more than plenty attention, has more toys than imaginable, eats the best ekkie diet ever, and has quarterly vet health checks. Not to mention a beautiful new day spa! Yet this morning I knew she was at the start of her hormonal cycle because I walked in with nice warm blueberry breakfast bowls for them and she tried to attack me! So she's back on cage restriction (don't worry, she has a beautiful 5x5x7 macaw cage) until she's back to her normal self.
I wish you good luck:) Hang in there. I'm sure she's very grateful for you, and she'll be back before you know it.