• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Most affectionate bird?

kingpp

Moving in
The bird doesn’t have to snuggle with me or nuzzle into my neck, just sit on my shoulder and hang out.
I’ve done a lot of research on the care of these birds but I wanted to ask the opinions of actual bird owners on the personality.
So which one forms a stronger bond/ is more affectionate;
Plum headed parakeet
Indian ringneck
Princess parrot
Turquoise parrot
Kakariki
Thank you!!

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
I own IRN, he’s the type of a bird who likes being in the same room with you(would fly after me if i’m going to another room), sometimes sit next to you or even on your shoulder/head, but not all the time :D my Zazu doesn’t like head scratches either, only allows me to pet him when it’s dark before he goes to sleep. But he loves landing on my head and taking a nap. Throughout the day he prefers playing by himself.
overall IRN are very active birds and they play/chew for the most part. He likes to get treats for trainings as well and picks up what i want from him very fast. Very intelligent.
maybe females would be different in terms of being more “cuddly”, never dealt with them (only got bitten once by my father-in-law’s female IRN :D )

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you checked out GCC's? They seem to be rather friendly clownish little guys.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Well it really is about the individual bird rather than a soecies. Check out some rescues and see if you can meet a few of the birds and find one that suits ou best.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@kingpp The first thing I will say to lower your expectation. Birds will build a unique relationship with you and you simply can't know how it will turn out.

Now with that in mind I will share my insanely sweet and wonderful plumhead experience with you.

Quick summary on touch: Plumheads, and other asiatic or psittacula parrots, do not allopreen. This means that they don't groom each other's head except in rare situations. Head and body touch isn't a common behaviour, except when copulating with their mate. Sometimes humans assume that all parrots like head scritches and they try and develop this head touch bond with their plumhead. The plumhead may accept this touch when it is a baby, but as the bird matures the touch is very confusing to the plumhead.

I got my plumhead understanding that I would never pet his adorable fluffy head. This was ok by me! I never reach toward his head and I always approach him moving my hand from below his feet up to his feet, not from above him swooping down..if that makes sense. This method seems to have worked very well as now my little guy is very comfortable around me and he hops all over me. We have developed a very trusting relationship and he follows me everywhere. What I have found very interesting is how little touch matters. Even though he doesn't "cuddle" he is strongly bonded to me. When he first came home it took him several days to feel comfortable in his new cage, several weeks before he started making any vocalisations. I never tried to get him from his cage when he was new to my home. I have a cage with a top play area and I would open his door and leave him to it. One day he hopped on my shoulder and it was really exciting. I remained calm and talked to him a little bit and from there our relationship took off.

Plumheads do require a diet with ample fresh fruits, veggies and even flowers/blossoms. So do keep that in mind. It isn't a once a week treat, it is an everyday diet. I probably spend somewhere around 30$ australian on his fruits and veggies weekly. Sometimes more or less depending on season. 1 package of edible flowers costs around $8 just to give you some idea.

Plumheads are very social and he gets along with all my other birds. However he can be a little jealous if the other birds stand on me ..but he pinches me for it.. go figure. He is also very smart. Tricks are a breeze and he picks up concepts quickly.

He flies around my house, the high energy and want to fly, I think it is impossible to have a happy plumhead with clipped wings. He flies laps around the house, multiples in a row. He will work himself hard and perch next to me panting from the effort. He loves flying. He chooses to do it.

When he was a baby he would test everything with his beak. He would pinch my skin a lot, because he found it to be just weird and interesting. So I had very sore hands for a long time. I started carrying around parrot foot toys and I would hand him one when I picked him up. This has since passed and he never pinches now, that is unless he is jealous I am not giving him all my attention.

This is in no way fully inclusive about my experience, but I hope it gives you some ideas. Plumheads rock! -- oh yeah and they can be noisy sometimes, like any bird, so don't believe the websites that say they are quiet. He can be very chirpy and I love him when he is because he is a happy little guy <3

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have a male plum head who is very very gentle and affectionate. He’s 15 months and just learned to fly. He flies after me if I’m in the room and has never bitten. I also have a female plum head that’s 24 months old. She was very feisty when I got her she is very different from the male. She has bitten many times and just not really “sweet.” She would never really try to fly to me. I realized that the breeder’s treatment of the bird probably made a big difference. I got the male from JC Aviary in Austin and the owner Joe clearly goes above and beyond in hand feeding sweet birds.