• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mosquito repellent plug

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Hello everyone ♥
Summer is coming and sometimes I need to put on this mosquito repellent plug. We are in the same room as Pasha.
I wonder if this mosquito repellent does any harm to Pasha?
I searched but couldn't find an answer. I'm sorry to bother you again with a question on my mind. :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It doesnt state what the active substance is however most mosquito repelents that work contain DEET that would be toxic to Pasha

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
It doesnt state what the active substance is however most mosquito repelents that work contain DEET that would be toxic to Pasha
I did not know that. Thank you so much.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not certain about that particular one but I was never comfortable using them around my children so I definitely wouldn’t use them around my birds who are more sensitive than humans.

I’d be more inclined to use a swatter, zapper or simply deter them from the outside of the house by planting plants that they don’t like.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

Main ingredient is 'Transfluthrin'.

View attachment 406676
Eh, I would not be comfortable using it in the same room as my bird.
I’m not certain about that particular one but I was never comfortable using them around my children so I definitely wouldn’t use them around my birds who are more sensitive than humans.

I’d be more inclined to use a swatter, zapper or simply deter them from the outside of the house by planting plants that they don’t like.
You are absolutely right. I don't feel comfortable. I will try to solve it with natural methods.
Really thank you so much

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Some "natural methods", such as essential oils, can also not be ideal for use around pets. I have mosquitoes pretty bad in the summer where I live and they come inside when opening the door or hitch a ride on the dog. I actually use one of those blue light bug zappers and it works well. Some do have an insect attractant that you can clip on but I never use them.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am from a mosquito infested area. We usually use essential oils and mosquito repellent, but I have stopped using them since my birdie adoption. I prefer mosquito nets... My doors and windows have nets also. Sometimes I cover the cages with nets at night, I have seen mosquitoes bother them also.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I am from a mosquito infested area. We usually use essential oils and mosquito repellent, but I have stopped using them since my birdie adoption. I prefer mosquito nets... My doors and windows have nets also. Sometimes I cover the cages with nets at night, I have seen mosquitoes bother them also.
We have nets on our doors and windows. Actually, there isn't much mosquito here. However, in 15 days of summer, there is a chance that mosquitoes will enter the house once or twice.
Thank you so much

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Some "natural methods", such as essential oils, can also not be ideal for use around pets. I have mosquitoes pretty bad in the summer where I live and they come inside when opening the door or hitch a ride on the dog. I actually use one of those blue light bug zappers and it works well. Some do have an insect attractant that you can clip on but I never use them.
Thank you

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have nets on our doors and windows. Actually, there isn't much mosquito here. However, in 15 days of summer, there is a chance that mosquitoes will enter the house once or twice.
Thank you so much
Wow! You have summer for only 15 days?? Want to exchange residence with me? :lol: we are having 40 degree celsius here:depressed::arghh:

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Wow! You have summer for only 15 days?? Want to exchange residence with me? :lol: we are having 40 degree celsius here:depressed::arghh:
No no. It's summer for 3 months. There are mosquitoes only for 15 days of 3 months. :laugh: :)

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucky you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pots of citronella type plants like lemongrass outside can help deter those pesky mosquitos.
I have a plant, sort of a bush thing, not sure the name of it, got it on a market for a euro and I pull off small parts and stick them in soil and it takes every time. I make long beds of the stuff and smaller pots to keep near the doors outside. Spritzing with water as the sun sets really gets the scent up in the air outside. I don´t use anything else aside from a flip flop for ridding the mosquitos.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Pots of citronella type plants like lemongrass outside can help deter those pesky mosquitos.
I have a plant, sort of a bush thing, not sure the name of it, got it on a market for a euro and I pull off small parts and stick them in soil and it takes every time. I make long beds of the stuff and smaller pots to keep near the doors outside. Spritzing with water as the sun sets really gets the scent up in the air outside. I don´t use anything else aside from a flip flop for ridding the mosquitos.
Thank you so much

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have also found checking the garden and potted plants outside helps. I tip away as much sitting water as possible. Under my potted plants I use a smaller gravel so that the mosquitos can't reproduce in the trays. It isn't perfect but there is a noticeable reduction compared to when I didn't use gravel.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I have also found checking the garden and potted plants outside helps. I tip away as much sitting water as possible. Under my potted plants I use a smaller gravel so that the mosquitos can't reproduce in the trays. It isn't perfect but there is a noticeable reduction compared to when I didn't use gravel.
What a great idea. Thank you so much

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Here is a link for a few plants that help to deter bugs. Maybe some of these will grow in your growing zone/area. We have several of these planted around the house in flower beds or pots. The herbs you could also use for cooking and what not.

12 Mosquito Repellent Plants - Garden Design

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal