• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mosquito control for aviary?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hello so i have an outdoor aviary for my finches, and parrots (separated). Well I have a mosquito problem and I’m not sure how i can control them safely. Any suggestion would be helpful!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are many plants that are used to keep mozzies away, plants are my first choice for a garden setting instead of chemical help, after plants I would choose a zapper which helps keep numbers down - I would not think all plants will be safe for your birds to ingest or chew but some are and the others are very likely to be fine to use around the outside of the aviary.

Just a few lists I found...

Diveks

Walking the driveway
There are many plants that are used to keep mozzies away, plants are my first choice for a garden setting instead of chemical help, after plants I would choose a zapper which helps keep numbers down - I would not think all plants will be safe for your birds to ingest or chew but some are and the others are very likely to be fine to use around the outside of the aviary.

Just a few lists I found...

thanks i will try and plant those around the parameter of the aviary, would the zapper scare the birds or will they get used to it?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks i will try and plant those around the parameter of the aviary, would the zapper scare the birds or will they get used to it?
I don’t think it would be too scary for them. They would probably ignore after a while. You could also use window screening to hang on the outside of the aviary panels when the mosquitoes are at their peak.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We’ve had one going for over a week now as the mozzies are thick from all the flood water sitting around us and none of my birds have bothered about it. The first few zaps made them look what was happening but that was it.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I don’t think it would be too scary for them. They would probably ignore after a while. You could also use window screening to hang on the outside of the aviary panels when the mosquitoes are at their peak.
We’ve had one going for over a week now as the mozzies are thick from all the flood water sitting around us and none of my birds have bothered about it. The first few zaps made them look what was happening but that was it.
Thanks ill get one then, it’s very annoying to have mosquitos biting me while im watching the birds, also would prevent them from biting the birds! I do use window screening but because of the odd shape of the aviary the mosquitos find a way.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks ill get one then, it’s very annoying to have mosquitos biting me while im watching the birds, also would prevent them from biting the birds! I do use window screening but because of the odd shape of the aviary the mosquitos find a way.
I am not finding the mozzies to be a problem for my outdoor bird in regards to bites.
Is the problem during the day? The zapper may not work quite so well during the day light hours as they use a UV light to attract them- some also have a co2 output which draws them in too.

If it is for day use then you may be best to look at other alternatives for deterring them such as remove all sitting water or damp areas, plant repellant plants or make some environmentally friendly traps- my last idea is to use an insecticide (I cringe when suggesting this as I really dislike chemical killers)

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
I plant mosquito repelling plants all around our yard each year some work better than others. I use garlic barrier around the yard, garden plants and the outside bird area. Mosquitoes like to hang out in the grass during the day so I make sure that I spray it along with the wooden parts of the top of their cage. I don't spray garlic barrier on the birds but I do make an apple cider vinegar and parsley spray to use on the birds and the dogs, it works pretty good.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I am not finding the mozzies to be a problem for my outdoor bird in regards to bites.
Is the problem during the day? The zapper may not work quite so well during the day light hours as they use a UV light to attract them- some also have a co2 output which draws them in too.

If it is for day use then you may be best to look at other alternatives for deterring them such as remove all sitting water or damp areas, plant repellant plants or make some environmentally friendly traps- my last idea is to use an insecticide (I cringe when suggesting this as I really dislike chemical killers)
It’s all day but worse when the sun is down, ill see the one that might work during the day and see how it works out. Ill also try to plant some plants.

I plant mosquito repelling plants all around our yard each year some work better than others. I use garlic barrier around the yard, garden plants and the outside bird area. Mosquitoes like to hang out in the grass during the day so I make sure that I spray it along with the wooden parts of the top of their cage. I don't spray garlic barrier on the birds but I do make an apple cider vinegar and parsley spray to use on the birds and the dogs, it works pretty good.
Thanks ill see if im able to get my hands on some. I keep the grass mowed down but there are still so many of them! Ill akso try the apple cider vinegar. Should I spray the cage/aviary too or would the smell be too overwhelming.

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
It’s all day but worse when the sun is down, ill see the one that might work during the day and see how it works out. Ill also try to plant some plants.

Thanks ill see if im able to get my hands on some. I keep the grass mowed down but there are still so many of them! Ill akso try the apple cider vinegar. Should I spray the cage/aviary too or would the smell be too overwhelming.
I wouldn't think so but I haven't seen your set up or your birds.

I crush up dried parsley with a mortar and pestle and put it in a jar and then fill the jar up with apple cider vinegar and let it steep. I strain it and put it into a spray bottle and spray the birds when needed. I have never had a problem with using on the birds and I have used it for many many years.