• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moses Lost his best friend and now has Polyuria

azflcowboy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Larry
Hello, My poor guy Moses. He misses his buddy who passed on Oct 13th from cancer

Now for the past few days he has POLYURIA
i noticed him drinking quite often and then of course peeing often. Never saw him do that

Research says Parrots are not usually observed drinking because there is usually enough water in their fruits and vegetables.
Our vet said it appear Moses has liver disease but she cannot see him for 3 to 4 weeks appointment January 14,2023.
I believe I need to take Moses in for blood tests and check up NOW.
Does anyone have experience with Polyuria?
Please advise
Thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
Vet who cannot see him for 3 weeks, said to put him on pellets with only 15% fruits and vegetables.....hmmmm he has always been on 75% fruits and vegetables and 25 % Tops pellets any advice? thank you

Attachments

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Some time ago I had an Amazon on MetacamMeloxicam and noticed she was drinking a lot. Then she got very wet polyurea. Puddles.
I took her off the metacam and she got better quickly.
This was all done under supervision of an avian vet. It was a kidney issue and I think your bird should be seen immediately.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It is a common symptom that can be shared with many different conditions. But I would be worried about infection first .

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Definitely see a vet. My experience with polyruia is that it's the kidneys. However, it can also be caused by stress. As mentioned, it could be a number of things. I know Ekkies have specialized diets. What is his diet like? (And I'm sorry for the loss of your other bird.)

azflcowboy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Larry
Some time ago I had an Amazon on MetacamMeloxicam and noticed she was drinking a lot. Then she got very wet polyurea. Puddles.
I took her off the metacam and she got better quickly.
This was all done under supervision of an avian vet. It was a kidney issue and I think your bird should be seen immediately.
Hello and Thank you so much for your reply to my post.

I was thinking maybe his grieving caused the polyuria:(

My avian vet is not available for the next 3 weeks.

I contacted the University of Florida Hospital and Animal Clinic in Gainesville and they gave me advice and a contact with an avian vet in 3 days.

They stated it did not appear to be an emergency (and they really take emergency cases) and could wait for 3 days.

I believe they felt since he is eating normally and still active as he does wish to be with me and he does play with his toys as well.

So again thank you so much

Stay well and God Bless

Larry azflcowboy

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hello and Thank you so much for your reply to my post.

I was thinking maybe his grieving caused the polyuria:(

My avian vet is not available for the next 3 weeks.

I contacted the University of Florida Hospital and Animal Clinic in Gainesville and they gave me advice and a contact with an avian vet in 3 days.

They stated it did not appear to be an emergency (and they really take emergency cases) and could wait for 3 days.

I believe they felt since he is eating normally and still active as he does wish to be with me and he does play with his toys as well.

So again thank you so much

Stay well and God Bless

Larry azflcowboy
[/QUOTE

Grieving can be stressful and stress can cause polyuria. So that's certainly possible. Three days is much better than 3 weeks. I am glad you're being seen sooner. I agree that I don't think it's an emergency either but definitely something to be checked out.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm glad to u can have a consultation earlier than 3 weeks.
Hoping for the best

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry. I'm not an Eclectus expert (here for advice myself) but in general that sounds like a bird that needs to be seen ASAP. There's the AAV registry, and you can also call a few of the bigger vet clinics in your area. In my experience, a lot of the multi-vet practices will have an exotics vet that rotates between clinics. That means they won't necessarily show up on the AAV registry even if they do treat birds.

Good luck and I'm so sorry You are going through this.