• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Morning wake up noise.

Brett4769

Moving in
Hi, I have to wake upango about a half hour b4 daylight here in Hawaii so I can go to work. He will make all kind of noises almost all the noises he's able to make, even a screatch or two. He acts like he wants out of the cage. I go to get him out but he won't. I feel he's trying to tell me something he wants. He has new food etc. Is it just saying good morning or what is he doing? Aloha, Brett n Mango

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatoo talks a lot first thing in the morning too. I just took it as that's how he likes to start his day.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe check-in with @tattoosiva who also lives in HI and has 4gccs. He might be able to give you some insight.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's flock behavior :) When birds wake up in the morning they sound off to greet the sun, make sure everyone made it through the night, and just to have fun! Calling in the morning is extremely normal and he's just making sure you are alive

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Here in the UK we call it the "Dawn Chorus " for the native birdlife, but it applies to the non native species as well.
I love it. Sort of the best way to start the day.
If you are not a fan , maybe blackout window curtains or something similar. But it's a natural behaviour process.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Hi, I have to wake upango about a half hour b4 daylight here in Hawaii so I can go to work. He will make all kind of noises almost all the noises he's able to make, even a screatch or two. He acts like he wants out of the cage. I go to get him out but he won't. I feel he's trying to tell me something he wants. He has new food etc. Is it just saying good morning or what is he doing? Aloha, Brett n Mango
Aloha Brett, your bird is gorgeous! I am in Hawaii too, Maui here! We just got our red-bellied parrot from a breeder on Oahu. Which island are you on? I was up at 6 am just to make sure all my birds needs were met before I went to work. Sometimes it’s best if you can let your bird come out on his own. How long have you had Mango?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that he's just saying hello to the morning and his flock! Outside birds are so noisy early. So it makes sense that our inside birds can be as well. My husband and I were just talking about much noise Gigi makes in the evening. From 7-8PM, she makes tiny noises, muttering, chortling and whistling. You can barely hear her but it's non stop. We talked about how it's probably what birds do outside, letting the flock know where they are, to get everyone together and safe for the night.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Yep, like others have said, it's 100% normal. Usually, it's triggered by the sun coming up, but if you're turning lights on and making noise, that's plenty of a signal for him. I think cockatoos are about the worst in terms of greeting the dawn and farewell'ing the dusk, but most non-nocturnal birds do it to some extent, especially the dawn. It's flock bonding behavior - be happy that he cares!

Fun side story that's tangentially related: Lions sing in the sun, and out as well. How do I know this? Because at one point many years ago, while my then-SO and I were moving into our new little house out in the woods, we were sitting on the porch to take a break and watch the sunset after a full day of moving boxes, we suddenly hear a chorus of roars! Our dog freaked out, we freaked out, called the landlord to ask wtf... Apparently, the next property over was an exotic animal rescue, with a pride of sixteen lions! (Along with a couple of tigers and bears and other such beasties, rescued from those 'roadside circuses'.) Once we got used to it, it was actually really beautiful. I still miss the dawn and dusk chorus.