• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More then 2 females with1 male?

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I was wondering can you have more then 1 female canary with a male canary? My cage is 31x20x36. Thinking about getting another bird or 2. Just doing some research before I make a decision on what kinda bird or birds to get.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Is your current bird a male canary?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I am not experienced with canaries, but my understanding is that they are territorial. In your situation, I would consider getting a separate cage before adding more birds. It is likely you would need to house additional canaries in their own space to avoid aggression and stress, so if you can't do that, it might be better to not risk it.

Trios tend to be problematic, even among non-territorial birds, because two birds will pair off and the third can get excluded.

That being said, if you do add a third, it should definitely be female. The male is much more likely to accept another hen. Two male canaries in the same cage will fight.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's remarkable. I didn't realize that. So you could technically have a little flock, so long as you knew only one was male.

:ycanary::ycanary::ycanary::ycanary::ycanary:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That's remarkable. I didn't realize that. So you could technically have a little flock, so long as you knew only one was male.

:ycanary::ycanary::ycanary::ycanary::ycanary:
Yes! They’re a lot of fun, and fairly gentle. I mean, the worst they do is open their little beaks in a threatening way. Lol

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's neat. Now I'm picturing a posturing canary. :peek1:

Sounds very cute! :joyful:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award