• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

More new-hatch baby problems... help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
I just looked in on last nights hatch and he is not doing well at all. The other two are laying on his head and the poor little thing is shivering. I'm beginning to think that Molly is not feeding the new hatches as someone suggested to me yesterday. My question is should I attempt to pull the baby and hand feed at one day old? I know how risky it is, but I fear another one will die if he doesn't get nourishment. I hope someone can advise... I need help quick!!!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes, get your brooder set up and pull the baby. I would feed him and keep him warm. Do you have hand feeding forumla?

Let me see I can get some help.

Ginger

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
I will also post this in the feeding section in case someone there may have a suggestion...

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
omg, thanks Ginger. I got out the heating pad and bed buddy and I'm warming them now. I have some baby feeding formula but I am scared to death to touch that little infant. i am going to pull him now and keep him warm and I;ll be right back!!

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
can you foster the chick?
i know in budgies the chicks can go on for a few hours as he had the egg sack

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Okay I PM'd TLA, srtiels, atvchick and BF. Hopefully someone with baby experience will get on here and help you. If you are going to feed just do it drop by drop with your finger until someone can tell you how to feed one so young. I also asked Marie to move it to 911.

Ginger

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
Thank you SOOO much Ginger. I pulled him and he's warm now...

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
sDavies, I know he hatched last night and made it through the night. I've already lost two of them and now I'm pretty sure it's because of mom neglect. As far as the feeding his tiny mouth is open, but I have not attempted a thing yet. I did pull him and he's much warmer than when I took him out. Poor little baby...

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Ok Ginger I moved this to the 911 section so more people would come help. Keeping it warm right now and trying to feed it in little amounts is important at this point.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
I had to pull a clutch of black masked babies because they were not being parent fed. Instead of using a syringe, I used the dixie cup method because they were so small. I was able to gauge how much they got and how fast. Luckily they all had good feeding responses once I got them heated up. I also diluted the formula just a touch at first. Good luck. I know how you feel, it is nerve racking, but you can do it. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What's the Dixie Cup method?

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Whew, yes thank goodness.

Ginger

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks BF!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The fiest priority is warmth, which you have done :) If chilled this also hinders the ability to digest. Here is an assist feeding article I have,,,BUT my experience is with tiels...but there may be some helpful info: Assist Feeding Chicks In The Nest - Just Cockatiels!

The only thing needed if they are NEW hatchlings is some fluids, such as pedialyte. Prior to hatching they would have drawn the yolk sac into the body and that is their main source of food for the first 24 hours. You also want the baby on something white so that you can see if it passed any droppings. First droppings may be dark and m=ucousy looking. I am doing a day one mousebird right now and mixed a little bit of papaya flavored yogurt with some pedialyte.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Ginger - The dixie cup method is using a bathroom size dixie cup instead of a syringe. You pinch the edges together to whatever size you want depending on the size of the bird to control how much formula the birds get. This way you are not squirting the formula into the mouth. We have never had a bird asperate using the cup. And in the big birds, since I have short, fat fingers and have trouble getting my fingers around some of the big heads, I have more control and feel more comfortable when feeding. Does that make any sense? It's easier to show, then tell. Sorry.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Cindy,

Can you post a photo?

Ginger

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I will say a pray for them:hug8::hug8:

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
Just spoke at length with BF. She is wonderful and helped me in many ways. She is emailing me some sites which will really help educate me.
Baby is warm and looks comfy in the brooder. I won't have to start a feeding until dinner time. I'm off to the drug store now to get some Pedialyte (sp)?

Thanks so much everyone!!! I feel a little better now, but still very apprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.