• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More lovebird questions, and pairing lovebird and parrotlet??

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Not pairing them but having them in the same cage, would it work if they are both young, will they learn to like each other?? Here are my questions, sorry if it is long I'm still trying to learn as a new bird owner, I'd only had my bird for 2 weeks, and i absolutely love him, he's gotten alot better with not flying up on the fan and he comes to me when i call him, and just loves to cuddle me, and hide in my hair lol :)

I would love any feedback on the following questions below, please only reply if you have raised lovebirds and/also parrotlets ^^;

0. wanting to get another bird but different bird species? what do i need to do for that?

1. im still hung up on the idea of a parrotlet because they are pretty, make cute noises, and i originally wanted to get one but a lovebird captured my heart, like they were more wanting to get to know you i guess??

2. if i bring home a pacific parrotlet i am afraid him or my lovebird will attack each other?? The cage is a decent size, but like my lovebird is young enough and the parrotlet i want to get is young too, are babies likely to get along better?

3. do i need to give the other bird seperate food/water bowls?

4. if i dont get a parrotlet, but somehow get a fischer lovebird later, does it matter what lovebird species you get to bond with my violet factor? it's not so much that i want my violet one to bond but i just generally like the fischer lovebird, they are pretty! But…..

5. Will that lead my violet factor to not want to come out and see me and only bond with whatever bird i decide to get inside the cage? my violet lovebird is very friendly and i let him out for about 2 hours everyday.

6. Do parrotlets still want to cuddle and come out of the cage like lovebirds do or are they more shy and dont really like humans??

7. are parrotlets generally really nippy like bite down hard? i went to a bird fair today and got to hold one, and the second time i held it, it was 4 months old and bit me hard like harder than my baby lovebird has. it didnt break skin but i was kinda like wow i dont know if i should get this bird if it bites that hard??

8. if i do seperate their cages will my lovebird change its personality based on the other bird living next to its cage?

9. I am looking at two different parrotlets right now, but one of them is very shy but she was also raised in the same cage as my current lovebird, so like their breeder is the same, i was curious if they would be fine together. (the other lovebird im looking at was not raised with it but its still a baby)

So my main concern if i get another bird: 1. my lovebird will change its personality and either hate me and bond with the other bird/bite me hard OR i cant have the new bird in the same cage because they will fight.

more questions about my lovebird-

1. My baby lovebird is 2mons and 2 weeks old, he is so strange, he loves people even new people but he cannot stand any NEW treat or toy if i give him it, he flys away from it like being super scared.

2. For a lovebird when he begins to start biting, or like biting things he shouldn't like keyboard keys, what is the proper way to tell a lovebird to stop? Telling him no and putting him in his cage immediately and ignoring him or not saying anything and put him in his cage?

3. When I look up what kind of breed of lovebird he is, I don't know what category he's under but I know he's a violet factor lovebird, but does that go under masked lovebird or peach faced lovebird category? And is violet factor the color rare for those lovebirds because when i was at a bird fair today and said i had one to a lady she was like "oh wow…" so i have no idea haha

4. Do birds need a special formula to wash themselves or is spraying a mist of water on them okay? I just gave mine a bath for the first time in two weeks because i didnt have a bottle yet and he can't wash himself on his own.

5. Not sure how to clip his nails, he really needs them done but he bites when I try to hold him upside down, a towel would help?

6. How much do fischer's lovebird breed go for? Are they rare because I cannot find them in my area, I remember seeing some once as a kid but they are rare, and I heard they are much louder than my type of lovebird?

7. It's almost 3am and my lovebird is eating his food….should I take out his food dish for over eating?

8. Is it common for bird's to look like a zombie and totally not there late at night? dumb question but thats how mine acts, then after he sees me and i come in later at night he starts eating XD

9. With rough tree like perches, does it really help/sharpen the bird's nails down more or not really?

@fluffypoptarts
@maddie

@JudiNH

Last edited:

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Well, I can only answer a few questions, but..

THE FIRST SET:
0. Since you already have a lovebird, you'll have to be very careful. Lovies aren't all that sweet with other lovebirds or other breeds. You have to research, but even then you can't be sure until you see the birds interact.

1. I can't help... :(

2. Lovebirds can pick a fight with any bird. Being young could either help or hurt the relationship because they're quite nippy, but they'll be more innocent and willing to get along (possibly).

3. Yeah, for sure. :)

4. I can't help...

5. Mmm, it might be harder because if your new bird doesn't get along with your lovie, it might be impossible to have them out together.

And then I can't help with the rest. :(

FOR THE LOVEBIRDS:
1. This is completely normal. When she sees vegetables, Birdie actually shrinks down and hides. :) Just keep the item far away and bring it closer over time. If it's food, try to offer it to your bird when it's hungry.

2. It really depends on the bird. Some people say to ignore it, some people say to give time-outs, some people even hit their birds (please don't do that last one). I would try doing a few things and see what actually works.

3. A masked lovebird would have a bigger eyering. It would be significantly bigger than a peachie's. Your bird is a peachfaced lovie and a cute one at that. :)

4. Birds definitely don't need anything. In nature, they bathe in puddles or rainwater. They don't need any sort of shampoo. Such things could actually mess up their feathers.

5. A towel would help if your bird is squirmy or bitey, although it will sometimes make the bird more squirmy. Again, it depends on the person.

6. They are not as common as peachfaced lovebirds, but they're one of the three most common types of lovebirds. The price depends on the store, the breeders, whether it's handraised or not, etc.

7. Birds generally don't overeat, but they sometimes do. If you have a gram scale or something, you can monitor the bird's weight. If you weigh it consistently (like right when it wakes up) and its weight seems to fluctuate a lot by more than a couple of grams, you might want to take out the bowl.

8. Hehe, my bird is too hyper to be zombie-like. I wouldn't be too worried though. Every lovebird has its quirks.

9. It somewhat will, but you'll still probably have to clip its nails.

I hope I helped. :)