• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More changes

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Over the past few weeks we have noticed more changes going on with Gracie when she is out. She has been having a little bit of a hard time calculating her landings on her perch of the table where we have her dish. She's had a few minor crash landings nothing to serious to cause her to become injured unless you count her pride being hurt. I can tell she does get scared when it happens because it was once something simple for her and now there are times when her wings just get tired and she doesn't have the lift she use too. Yesterday she bounced on the table leg and ran to my husband which is unheard of. She stayed with him for about an hour and half from what he was telling me but as soon as I got up for work she was right under my chin looking for protection.

She has also been a lot more clingy then usual for her. Her spot has gone from my hand to the side of my neck and if I move a little she scoots right on over to be closer. She does nap a lot more than she has in the past but her vet like myself think this is her age catching up with her.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahww I have a week spot for older animals:heart::heart: How old is she now?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s so sweet. Yes, could just be age, but I don’t know much about lovies.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:baby birdie...

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I will try the flying back and forth with her and see how it goes. She crashed into the table again tonight. Poor thing then she went and nested on my husband's head for about 10 minutes.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Work with her like you said and see how she does. When Lurch got here he ws around 5 and clipped. He was mad at the world, quick to bite, and horribly out of shape. When his primaries finally grew in enough for him to do emergency flights he'd be outa breath badly and rest for a hour. Towards the end of his time with me he was zipping about the house and barely getting outa breath at all but it did take a while to get there. She's older but I think as long as she doesn't get totally overworked and stressed out she'll get her stamina back within reason considering. Lurch was much happier when he knew he could fly well and choose where he wanted to go.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
She usually has no problem flying at all but she has slowed down a lot this past year. Some mornings she is also in a lot of pain and I can barely touch her without her chirping at me because she is hurting. I have been giving her 0.03 of Metcam on those mornings and she is usually okay after about 40 minutes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think she is having any vision issues?
It's good that the metacam is helping alleviate pain.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
We thought about that but from what keith is telling me it's on her initial flight when he lets her out when he gets home from work. she has had a few miscalculations when I am home with her so I am not sure. It seems to be happening after she has been napping or in her cage for a bit.