• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moose & Me?

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Time for a long overdue update!
Mussolini/Moose is now officially named
Carlo/Charles.

He’s been a member of my flock for over 3 months now and things are going wonderfully! To avoid future conflict, I bought him outright from my aunt’s family and I’m very glad I did. Once they saw what an amazing bird Carlo is, they wanted him back and I had the right and absolute pleasure of telling them no and why. I strongly discouraged purchasing another bird as they want to put in zero effort and have an amazing companion which is simply not possible. They’ve backed off on Carlo, but now want me to raise a bird for them and then give him back, something I have no desire to do. I don’t want to watch somebirdy I love become neglected and cage bound and I have nothing to show me they’d do anything else.

The only negative thing I have to say about him is that Charles is a total perch potato and has zero desire to move or exercise. I hope that once his wings grow back he’ll have the confidence and curiosity to fly and will become more mobile, but if he doesn’t I’ll just have to keep coming up with different ways to encourage movement and exercise. He loves being perched on my shoulder and tangling himself up in my hair :lol: So at least his legs are strong from hanging out with me as I go about my day. He’s just an all around great bird! He is sweet, trusting, very gentle, and outside of the one ear chomp, I haven’t been bitten by him once!

He flock calls in the morning and evening, but is an otherwise weirdly quiet bird who loves to destroy his toys and eat his perches. I’ve been giving him the dowel perches my cages came with for him to destroy :D I finally found a good use for them! He’s a professional soup chef and requires a constant turnaround on fresh water to make his many delicacies ;) I got him an Avianweb harness and have been slowly getting him used to it...hard to do with a bird that does not tolerate touching aside from head pets, but we persevere. I’m expecting he’ll eat this one up before I can comfortably get it on him, so I will likely need another by the time he’s actually harness trained. Such is life with a big beak beauty :xflove:

Charles knows step up, gimme kiss, and big wings very well. I hope he’ll be a talker because that IRN voice is so darn cute, but if he never says a word he’ll still be adored through and through! He’s thankfully not at all cage aggressive and is completely indifferent to birds landing on his cage. Charles has had direct interaction with Bug and Eddie and although he is very good with Eddie, he hates Bug with a passion. Bug is very forward with other birds and Ed mostly ignores him so maybe that’s the difference. Bug he will go out of his way to bite (no bites but very clear attempts) so he’s not allowed out with him. I’ve gotta say he’s fit into the flock perfectly!

This is the cage they had him in, I used it for him to adjust and hang out with me in my bedroom, it’s good for a travel cage.
AE8C2C98-3BAD-48E6-A5DC-57040403667A.jpeg
Love that great big schnauze! EC3EA917-88AA-4EBB-9B96-D0B5DF207DFF.jpeg
He sneak!
D0539846-BE86-4A59-9098-E3D7C5845BD8.jpeg
He steal!
782A1B59-EFCA-4732-936C-F6149A05225D.jpeg
Sweet potato
32CA5E81-5C25-4AF5-A827-96D3BCF12D4C.jpeg
Wet Chicken!
2655C100-B689-4564-945A-4D65C3BF8FB5.jpeg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He's just beautiful with his brightly colored beak! I'm so glad he's yours now... a brighter future indeed!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He is an absolute gem! I love his baby antics!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you! I just love his big bright beak! I’m so glad he lets me kiss him I’d probably lose my lips if he didn’t :lol:how could you resist that sweet beeper!?:xflove::swoon:
My "Bob" is a total kisser. Loves to make a kiss sound or say "Gimme Kiss" and presses his beak on my lips. He'll do it over and over until I tell him "Ok, Bob... that's enough kisses." I don't let him sit on my shoulder because he can't resist pinching but the boy sure loves his kisses.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wonderful update! Hopefully as he ages and like you said, when his wings grow in, he will get more adventurous :)