• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monster's mini-monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
I will give you a little background on Miss Monster Mash, for some of those who might not know already. Monster was rescued by a technician I work with from a bird "sanctuary" (fancy word the guy used - just a collector). She was housed with the "unpopular" birds in his "finch house" (yes, an entire, small house for his finches). She was kept in a cage made of chicken wire, with a 2x4 for a perch. The bottom of her cage was COVERED (like, INCHES) in poop and shells from peanuts and sunflowers. She was considered the "rottweiler bird" because she was "mean" and therefore nobody ever gave her any attention or real, quality care. My friend paid for her to get her out of the horrible conditions she was in. I brought her into my house last summer, and it's been an adventure ever since.

When my friend first brought her home, Monster was obese, she had "cleavage" and weighed in at around 1500g (if not a little more). She was too overweight to get liftoff to fly. That coupled with not knowing what the heck toys were - she had a hard time burning off all of the calories she had stored. Her weight came down gradually once she was put on a better diet, and allowed time out of a cage, to explore and work off her food.

In feb of this year, she still weighed in at 1420g. After putting her on a "diet" of sorts, and increasing her exercise, I'm happy to announce that as of yesterday afternoon, Monster no longer is a MONSTER and weighed in at 1150g!!!!!! We are all very thrilled at the healthy weight she has dropped to! I just wanted to share my excitement! :dancing::dance4::dance4::dancing:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Yaaaaay! Thank you for doing such a wonderful job with Monster! :) Can we get some pics??

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:dance4::dance4::dance4: Way to go, Monster!!!:dancing::dancing::dancing:
:hug8:Audra! :hug8:

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
I will try to get some this weekend! But for now I'll post last year when I got her and a pic from the last month or two (don't remember when I took it...) you can tell a difference probably (I can..)
Oh, and, the mini-monster I was going to refer to in my original post was that the vet said that the weight loss she has had was like removing an amazon from her - a whole other bird (a mini-monster! :hehe:)

Attachments

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I didn't know Monsters story. :D That's fantastic that she's slimmed down to a healthy weight. She looks brilliant.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will give you a little background on Miss Monster Mash, for some of those who might not know already. Monster was rescued by a technician I work with from a bird "sanctuary" (fancy word the guy used - just a collector). She was housed with the "unpopular" birds in his "finch house" (yes, an entire, small house for his finches). She was kept in a cage made of chicken wire, with a 2x4 for a perch. The bottom of her cage was COVERED (like, INCHES) in poop and shells from peanuts and sunflowers. She was considered the "rottweiler bird" because she was "mean" and therefore nobody ever gave her any attention or real, quality care. My friend paid for her to get her out of the horrible conditions she was in. I brought her into my house last summer, and it's been an adventure ever since.

When my friend first brought her home, Monster was obese, she had "cleavage" and weighed in at around 1500g (if not a little more). She was too overweight to get liftoff to fly. That coupled with not knowing what the heck toys were - she had a hard time burning off all of the calories she had stored. Her weight came down gradually once she was put on a better diet, and allowed time out of a cage, to explore and work off her food.

In feb of this year, she still weighed in at 1420g. After putting her on a "diet" of sorts, and increasing her exercise, I'm happy to announce that as of yesterday afternoon, Monster no longer is a MONSTER and weighed in at 1150g!!!!!! We are all very thrilled at the healthy weight she has dropped to! I just wanted to share my excitement! :dancing::dance4::dance4::dancing:
1500g ???? Wow. Congrats on getting Ms. Monster healthy :hug8:

Iluvemturts

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracy
I didn't know Monster's story either...She is beautiful!! Is she handable?
I love rescue stories..Thanks for taking her in and loven on her.

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
Good for you! & Monster! Thanks for sharing her story. I was aware of her sad beginnings. So glad she has a wonderful, loving home now.

f3ath3rs2

Real Name
Audra
I didn't know Monster's story either...She is beautiful!! Is she handable?
I love rescue stories..Thanks for taking her in and loven on her.
Hes she is hand tame - she would step up for me and tentatively let me give scritches when I first got her. When my friend got her she would step up eventually for her, and she got better over time with her. Now I can do most anything and she is pretty tolerant, we rough house a little, and I can swing her and hold her upside down, she's a real good girl. I'm glad she's part of my flock :heart:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is beautiful, good job with her weight reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.