• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco monologues.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
What kind of tea do you give her?
She seems to have a brand... Tea snobbery will have to be added to her list of titles.
Pukka, their vanilla Chai is a hit, triple cinnamon results in a session of deep contemplation with her head in the mug for long stretches. There's one that @mythic55 sent, but I can't replicate it yet...it's a favorite too with medicinal and tasty herbs. I also have quite a collection from my grocery store, they blend fruit, herbs, spices and flowers in various recipes. I feed these dry too. Rooibos is acceptable, but not adored yet. She's not a fan of chamomile, but I sneak it in sometimes. I tried mint, but it has been the least favorite so far.

Dorcas George

Oh! A weird choice for a digging tool, but I just snapped this one for you guys. I guess we can't all be contractors! Anyway, another shredder down! I wish there were more studies about offering natural behaviors and how to do it in a way that won't necessarily encourage hormones. I'm scared of eggs if you can't tell. Anyway... She gave up on this digging tool soon after...smart girl! Maybe she was going for stirrup hoe action?
View attachment 352459

Oh, and...
This happened today. I don't know the why. I don't know the who. I do know that it took six, yes 6, trips to get the shoes all into the living room and lined up on the couch... Plus one for the purple toy. Uhm... Just, uhm...
View attachment 352460
Edit: The only pair in the living room was left untouched. I uh... Uhm, I just don't understand.
Whaat? Well hope it made her happy!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Way overdue for an update again...
I kinda wish I had been more diligent so I could check back for patterns of behaviors. A year into our adventure, and she surprises me with all sorts of things.

The incessant nesting started concurrent with the cage changes I made to occupy her while I was working the extra day job. It has continued, but less severe for the most part. I think all the nesting in her day cage is what has led to the increase in cage aggression and resource guarding in there. It was mitigated by using her original cage as her sleep cage, but we're still doing that so I don't know what to change next.

For about a month she's been less nesty, but irritable and using her paint peeling screeches to advertise her angst to the neighborhood.

I took a hard line approach to her diet around October. No more Roudybush, no more soy, no more seed mix except in tiny deposits occasionally in her toys. Tops blend with oat groats, a few almonds and pistachios (those get thrown out with complete disdain despite eating many spicy alfalfa flavored nuts in front of her.) I started mixing up a wide assortment of frozen veggies, beans, fruit and almonds, and that's been her staple for about a month now. The beans are a welcome addition, but I have yet to get her to try cauliflower in any form...why is it in so many veggie mixes?

This week she's decided to go on walkabouts all over the house. It has happened occasionally, but seemed to have a distinct destination of the other cage or the kitchen doorway perches. This week it's different. I think she's declared all floor space her personal nest territory. It has become persistent and violent. There's been a lot of toweling, dancing away from her armed advances, and complete bewilderment and fear on my part. I seriously don't know how to protect myself if she manages to get to the floor. I'm elated that she's exploring and moving and crestfallen that I may have to cage her for safety and sanity. It seems like I have to take something away from her every time we have a breakthrough. The anger and frustration if I close her cage door is heartbreaking. Today I holed up on the couch so she could have time on the floor to explore. She seems obsessed, though, and still hasn't eaten much yet today. Either out of the cage or staring at me from the corner of the cage door yelling at me for the injustice of it all.

She caught sight of a black standard poodle today, and if she's not trying to escape the cage, scream at me or roam around she's saying, "Sam" and "where's my Sam?" in the saddest way possible.

I'm dizzy from this latest emotional and physical roller coaster!

I adopted Bella in July, and she was accepted right away. Around mid October she surprised me by talking to/about /with her like she did with Theo (my sheltie that passed in June.) It was a tough time and marked by Monaco with the silence regarding Theo related routines even though I kept many of them with Bella, especially the bedtime and leaving for work routine. Suddenly she blurted out her phrase, "*whistle, kiss* c'mon! " for Bella while we were walking out the door one night. Bitter sweet moments, for sure, especially when she says "teeteeoh!" when I play with bell.

She's finally working on chipping thin pine. Untying knotted paper and leather.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I forgot to say that last night after she bit my back and hip while I was reorganizing things on the floor... I made a mote of boxes and a blanket and she left me alone for a while before the sneak attack to my blind side... I put her on the couch so I could finish, and she deposited 3 inches of her only long primary in protest. Odd she didn't jump the 18 inches from the couch when she will dive 4 feet off of her cage door.

:angry::ohdrama: