• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco monologues.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I spoke too soon about the nesting and hormonal behavior. Shortly after I posted that she lost her even keel. Head bobbing, pulling her sheet into the cage, demanding food from me and the sheet, lots of aggression. Sheesh. She turned on a dime. I've been down for the count for the last two days, and I'm not sure, but I may have missed some clues. Her appetite was a bit low. Maybe it's going to follow a monthly pattern. It's been about 35 days since the last post about it. I should just be glad she's not laying, and I haven't been bitten in quite a while! She did mention tickles today, and she definitely associates it with under the wing scritches. I usually touch her leg when she talks about tickles, so I did that today, and got a disgruntled look. I guess she was expecting a lot more today. :wideyed:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Well, Monaco has been having lots of jam sessions lately... Literally jamming lots of words and sounds together...

Wasso wasso Sam bath.
Shoo ah shoo ah.
Etc etc...

Suddenly the other day in between babbling and preening out popped "hi Theo," very matter of fact, and didn't miss a beat. Later that day she asked, "whatcha doin?" I have been saying "cha doin" every time she says "what?" in her most disgusted tone.

I also think she's settled on "shoo-er" an elongated "sure" that she used when she was trying for "chewy" which I say to Theo frequently.

Her previous owner is elated, and says "she's finally home!" which makes me feel very warm and fuzzy inside!

I thought you guys should know.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I forgot to mention the games we've been playing with the phrases she already knows.

She really likes "momma loves" and it usually has a lilt, like a question, so I reply with her "Monaco bird."
Lately she initiates with "momma loves, then I say, "yeah! Momma loves Monaco bird" then I start again with "momma loves" and she finishes with "Monaco bird!". It's very touching.

Tonight "tickle tickle" turned into "twinkle twinkle" so I said "little star" and she replied with "up above - mumble- high" which really shocked me because she hasn't used her song beyond the first bit yet. It was really a precious moment...again!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwwww. Sounds awesome.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Awwwwwwwwww. Sounds awesome.
Super awesome! She's using c'mon to call me now too, instead of just talking about the dog(s).

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Teas I found at the grocery store... The mango is a big hit!

IMG_20200123_160331535.jpg

And the birdie bread is running really low. Time for a new batch.

IMG_20200115_203433009.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I forgot to post the bread pictures here last week. I thought I at least put the link to them from the feathered food court... I cannot be trusted!

IMG_20200115_194426006.jpg
IMG_20200115_203512878.jpg

About a minute later.... Of course she didn't want the one I broke open.
IMG_20200115_205517319.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Monaco is gorgeous.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I couldn't get her rat bird pose... She's got a remarkable resemblance to the rat birds in cloudy with a chance of meatballs when she's wet.

She's schizophrenic about baths. She'll lift one wing at a time, but almost never flaps or fluffs or remotely looks like she enjoys it. She says "wanna bath?" all the time, but she must be genuinely asking if I want one, because she definitely does not.
IMG_20200129_213413736.jpg

Dorcas George

Just reading more today...what a thread. :heart: Monaco is absolutely gorgeous. Those colors are just stunning. So many birds here at the Ave that I would love to see in person!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Just reading more today...what a thread. :heart: Monaco is absolutely gorgeous. Those colors are just stunning. So many birds here at the Ave that I would love to see in person!
I think the same thing! I wish we had a group or club here. Bird people are few and far between, and I haven't met any that are conscientious yet... Except for the twitchers, there's quite a birding interest here.

She is getting more colorful as her feathers come in. Even a little green on the primaries!

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a beautiful wet girlie.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
We are way overdue for an update, but all I can muster right now is a little celebration about chewing.

We have been working on a few new things, and look who isn't running away from paper like it was made for the sole purpose of attacking innocent red parrots named...

IMG_20200211_191444321.jpg

What a weird thing to be so proud of except in certain circles!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Not at all! Destruction is a sign of a happy bird :)

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I couldn't get her rat bird pose... She's got a remarkable resemblance to the rat birds in cloudy with a chance of meatballs when she's wet.
She's schizophrenic about baths. She'll lift one wing at a time, but almost never flaps or fluffs or remotely looks like she enjoys it. She says "wanna bath?" all the time, but she must be genuinely asking if I want one, because she definitely does not.
She looks pretty well soaked. Does she use a perch in the shower?

Our Toby gets very excited about showers. He goes into a crazy fit trying to get into the shower when I turn the water on. Then he's so spastic bobbing around the light spray of water that he hardly gets wet. I have to get in with a shirt on so he can run across my shoulders getting in and out of the water. Bath time is a lot of fun and an ordeal at the same time. Usually my sides hurt from laughing the whole time.

Last edited:

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
We are way overdue for an update, but all I can muster right now is a little celebration about chewing.
We have been working on a few new things, and look who isn't running away from paper like it was made for the sole purpose of attacking innocent red parrots named...
What a great pic. She looks proud of herself. "Hey, look what I did!"

My wife and I really enjoy this thread, BTW. Thank you for for all the continued effort with the updates.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
View attachment 315905

So, this is the photo I got from the ad from Monaco's adoption page, and some of her history. I hope it shows up, I've had trouble posting photos.

Correction to her age, she's 19. Her owner has had to move several times in the last two years, and her mother is very ill and travels a lot to see her. So, a relatively happy one-home situation. She's rehoming to prevent more stress. She's not positive about her hatch date. Maybe she's got a leg band I can look up, we'll see. She chose Halloween for her birthday/gotcha day....two scorpios in the house?

We've been using voxer to communicate and record sounds of the goings on here to hopefully get Monaco familiar with my voice. I can play it for her too when she gets here. She's been really gracious about all of my requests and questions about Monaco.

She will speak in context, sort of, when she's frightened. "What's it, what's it, are you scared? Stop it!" She's flirty with men, but hasn't ever lived with one. Her favorite games are peek a boo and I see you, which she will say repeatedly and try to keep the game going.

I've been warned about a weird sneezing noise she makes when she's upset, and a vindictive mega poop while laughing and laughing when you clean it. Birds may be masters at passive aggression.

That's all for now.
Very nice condition of this bird....she's a beauty.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
She looks pretty well soaked. Does she use a perch in the shower?

Our Toby gets very excited about showers. He goes into a crazy fit trying to get into the shower when I turn the water on. Then he's so spastic bobbing around the light spray of water that he hardly gets wet. I have to get in with a shirt on so he can run across my shoulders getting in and out of the water. Bath time is a lot of fun and an ordeal at the same time. Usually my sides hurt from laughing the whole time.
We are still working on showers. She does have a poly perch in the shower, and I wrapped a section of the curtain rod. Sometimes I try holding her. That Pic was a spray bottle in the kitchen doorway...we made a clean spot on the floor! She's only enjoyed it once, and recreating it hasn't been successful...yet. She's most relaxed if she's on her perch while I shower, and she stays dry. Unless she's itchy I don't really force it. What she does love is the heater vent! Wet or dry, she really gets into the air... If only mist would come out of the vent!

I'm glad you guys enjoy it. I like it a lot, and there are lots of things that I wouldn't remember otherwise. I've been slacking lately, so I will try to do better.

@Hawk12237 thank you. She came from a great home. I'm changing her diet, at my peril, but she definitely looks healthy! We're going to do the big vet visit soon, so we can get a baseline on organs. I really hope her appearance is an indication of her internal situation.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
We are still working on showers. She does have a poly perch in the shower, and I wrapped a section of the curtain rod. Sometimes I try holding her. That Pic was a spray bottle in the kitchen doorway...we made a clean spot on the floor! She's only enjoyed it once, and recreating it hasn't been successful...yet. She's most relaxed if she's on her perch while I shower, and she stays dry. Unless she's itchy I don't really force it. What she does love is the heater vent! Wet or dry, she really gets into the air... If only mist would come out of the vent!

I'm glad you guys enjoy it. I like it a lot, and there are lots of things that I wouldn't remember otherwise. I've been slacking lately, so I will try to do better.

@Hawk12237 thank you. She came from a great home. I'm changing her diet, at my peril, but she definitely looks healthy! We're going to do the big vet visit soon, so we can get a baseline on organs. I really hope her appearance is an indication of her internal situation.
Just a random suggestion.. Pascal only wants to bathe when the vaccum cleaner is running! Maybe that would make Monaco want to bathe too. I dont know what it is haha something about the noise. He also loves to be blow dried after!