• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco monologues.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Just a quick update, because I'm exhausted and need to do some self care before I collapse in a heap on the couch...

My old sheltie can't see or hear very well, and he's been very anxious since Sunday when Monaco had a yelling fit. Tonight I coaxed him into eating his dinner and playing with his ball, then we sat on the couch and got tummy rubs and comfort. Monaco launched into an actual monologue talking to Mr Theo.
C'mon *loud kiss*
Whistle + kiss
Cmon baby
Here you go
Feel better?
You okay?
Series of kisses
Where's my Sam?

All decreasing in volume and she seems to be genuinely adjusting it according to his anxiety level. It's very sweet, and Mr Theo does seem to be more relaxed.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
All decreasing in volume and she seems to be genuinely adjusting it according to his anxiety level. It's very sweet, and Mr Theo does seem to be more relaxed.
Absolutely they are very empathetic to the energy in their environment.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm so lucky she's not scared, and seems to like dogs. Sam was a standard poodle in her last home, I guess they had a special relationship.

I'm just lucky. She's so patient. I probably deserved a few bites, but she keeps trusting me. I wish I could build her confidence about moving around on her own. She doesn't really go anywhere, not even back and forth or down from the play stand. I just have to keep looking for things that spark her interest. Even food has been challenging, I can't really start changing her diet if she won't tell me what her favorites are. I need yummy things to mix into fruits and vegetables, but alas, she's keeping secrets.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I'm so lucky she's not scared, and seems to like dogs. Sam was a standard poodle in her last home, I guess they had a special relationship.

I'm just lucky. She's so patient. I probably deserved a few bites, but she keeps trusting me. I wish I could build her confidence about moving around on her own. She doesn't really go anywhere, not even back and forth or down from the play stand. I just have to keep looking for things that spark her interest. Even food has been challenging, I can't really start changing her diet if she won't tell me what her favorites are. I need yummy things to mix into fruits and vegetables, but alas, she's keeping secrets.
Give her time , allow her to be who she is , consider yourself fortunate that she's reserved and mellow. She reminds me a little like my male Major Mitchell Cockatoo, Bentley . He's a prech potato, just likes to take it all in from his comfort zone on his tree. I let him be who he is. I don't worry or fuss about how i think he should be acting. When he feels like it, he comes to join in on family interactions. They pick up on your energy trying to hard. Just let her chill and don't make a fuss over trying to have her be doing something . Just being in the same room and going about your business is having quality time and a flock assurance for her.
:cloud9::marlenesmile:

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Female Eclectus are the champions of cage surfing :) I think you will love this video. The first quarter or so of the video explores the magical life of eclectus.

If I had so many lovely tasties brought to me, I wouldn't leave my hallow 'aka cage' either.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Female Eclectus are the champions on cage surfing :) I think you will love this video. The first quarter or so of the video explores the magical life of eclectus.

If I had so many lovely tasties brought to me, I would leave my hallow 'aka cage' either.

I love it …:heart: thank you for sharing ! always dream of going to OZ and New Zeeland:heart2:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love it …:heart: thank you for sharing ! always dream of going to OZ and New Zeeland:heart2:
I never stop loving it :)

You might enjoy seeing some of the neighbors I have. Right now, Bob is raising his little fledgling and it is really precious. Baby always wants more daddy delivered morals, and daddy bird is so concerned about his little one and gathers spiders carefully all day feeding them directly to his baby.

Some of my neighbors | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I never stop loving it :)

You might enjoy seeing some of the neighbors I have. Right now, Bob is raising his little fledgling and it is really precious. Baby always wants more daddy delivered morals, and daddy bird is so concerned about his little one and gathers spiders carefully all day feeding them directly to his baby.

Some of my neighbors | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Ok I'm inviting myself to come visit you !!! :pinklol2::pinklol3::airplane::thankyou:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Give her time , allow her to be who she is , consider yourself fortunate that she's reserved and mellow. She reminds me a little like my male Major Mitchell Cockatoo, Bentley . He's a prech potato, just likes to take it all in from his comfort zone on his tree. I let him be who he is. I don't worry or fuss about how i think he should be acting. When he feels like it, he comes to join in on family interactions. They pick up on your energy trying to hard. Just let her chill and don't make a fuss over trying to have her be doing something . Just being in the same room and going about your business is having quality time and a flock assurance for her.
:cloud9::marlenesmile:
Thanks for the reassurance. I will relax. I need it anyway! I'll just give her as many options as I can and let her choose what to do /eat/whatever.

Female Eclectus are the champions of cage surfing :) I think you will love this video. The first quarter or so of the video explores the magical life of eclectus.

If I had so many lovely tasties brought to me, I wouldn't leave my hallow 'aka cage' either.

Yes, I would definitely be a diva if I was waited on like that too.

Tiny success: she likes my favorite wild rice! Maybe she will have dinner with me tomorrow.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

We both really like this. She said "huh? " and "uh huh!" through it.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thanks for the reassurance. I will relax. I need it anyway! I'll just give her as many options as I can and let her choose what to do /eat/whatever.
Your doing great … Enjoy the journey :joyful:

Tiny success: she likes my favorite wild rice! Maybe she will have dinner with me tomorrow.
There ya go , make a big deal out of her little achievements'. Have fun with it . ;)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Well, we've had 3 days of a pretty foul mood. No talking since Friday. She warms up very late before bedtime, and we have a little cuddle time. The rest of the days were growling and fluffed hackle feathers, eye pinning and defensive/aggressive postures. The upside is she's still eating rice well, and has been digging into her seeds and pellets and eating her peas and corn.
Maybe she's starting to realize that she is not visiting, and misses her "momma." we have also had some pretty gray, rainy, cold weather since Thursday.

I'm just trying to keep the schedule and offer options. I keep talking to her periodically from wherever I am, but she seems irritated by it. Maybe I will just talk to the dog when she's having a tough day.

She also seems to be anxious about things that have been visible since she got here. The blanket on the couch is all that's coming to mind right now, but it's 3 or 4 things at least. Am I going to to have to give up my favorite things?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Am I going to to have to give up my favorite things?
It is required to rearrange our lives for our birds. You don't have to get rid of them though, just don't have them in her presence. Of course you could also give her some more time to acclimate, she may accept the blanket in time.

Be careful with cuddle time. You want her to see you as a friend and not a lover. Please be mindful of zone you do not want to touch ei: under the wings, on the back or tail. I do not think ekkie are an allopreening species so someone else can chime in, but you should be touching much more than her feet.

More on allopreening :) Please do keep in mind that many species do not require help to remove their pins. Asiatic parrots are a great example, this is why some develop massive hand-fear, unlike say a cockatiel who is begging for some help with pins :)
Dr. Pepperberg Dishes On Parrots & Preening – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
She's not a fan of touching at all, I'm scared to try it.

It seems like all she wants is to press her beak against my cheek, she'll be upset if I have to stop letting her. I figured it was a good sign of trust since she's got her neck so close to my mouth. Then she'll make her kiss sound, or a raspberry or just say kiss. Is it too much like food begging from a male?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It can become that. Just be sensible. Ekkie ladies can become very demanding of nom noms. Your relationship is still new so I know where you are coming from. Any bonding is progress :) Do you best to have diverse interactions with her. Games, training, adventuring, hanging out without direct interaction for example she is on the play stand foraging and you are reading in her sights. You are part of her everyday flock!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yesterday was her birthday and we sang that all day. I swear she asked for a bath again, but it didn't go well this time either. She let me touch her in various places to see if she was getting dry, though. She's been trying out my voice a little bit, so I'm excited about that. I moved the blanket back to the chair where it was when she got here, and it seems acceptable there. (yay! I do love that blanket.)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
The good:

I think we turned a corner with the cuddles today. She didn't seem to need them as much, and didn't take it when it was offered. She did want them when we headed back to the cage for the bedtime routine, but I didn't give in, and she realized eventually that she was okay and tired... Lovely beak grinding ensued shortly.

The bad:

I found that she's dug out virtually every safflower seed last night and today. I know I've been leaving too much seed mix/pellets in her bowl, but I have a decent reason. Anyway, she's refused her veggies, most fruit and warm dinners all weekend. So her poop is not right today and overnight was too dry to tell. I added acv to her water and hand fed peas this evening. She's headed to the vet if her morning poo isn't better looking.

The ugly:

I have my personal theories about processed foods, sugar, and general wellbeing for people... I have my suspicions that my theories hold true across the animal kingdom...

Anyway, I don't know if she was grumpy because she didn't feel very good or ate poorly because she was grumpy... There was a lot of puffed hackles, growling, and lunging as soon as I turned my back or took my hand away all weekend. I tried leaving her be with her cage open, and going in the other room. I tried staying in the same room. I tried staying close, but not looking at her. That last one seemed to work the best, but I can't do that at length...certainly not often. I don't know "what's the matter?" but she keeps asking. That and her growls.... She also yelled 3 yells, terrified Mr. Theo, talked him down, and then screamed as soon as looked calm again. She was very proud of herself when he bolted out of the house to my mom's house. I almost broke into tears at that point. It was cruel, and I couldn't calm him. It took a very long time out for everyone to get back to normal.

I'm very tired. At least I've got a system for bedtime.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Well, I got my first bite tonight. It's not bad. It's like she was just trying to make her point...with her pointy end.

It's over the dry food bowl. She's very upset about it. I don't know if I did the right thing. I honestly can't tell what TO DO, because the advice is what NOT TO DO. That itself is very confusing. I tried to just be calm. I don't know if I seemed that way to her, but I think I was cool as my frozen cucumber plants were last week.

I did tear up a little in the bathroom, though. It's been a really tough week. I'm tired and sad, and she's growling and lunging. <- that seems like a wrong spelling, but I can't be bothered to Google it right now.

:sad10:

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
It can be really rough at first, but remember you are doing such an amazing, incredible thing rescuing Monaco. You are doing a good job and things will improve. Monaco is in a new place and that must be really scary for her so just take it slow. You got this! :hug8: