• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco monologues.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Wow she is stunning!! :heart:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
She is! I think she knows it...she's so sassy. That beak is so shiny, the better to bite me and throw food!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Alright. Two weeks to go. I found rambutans(sp) at the market today, and nearly bought them.... Just like the jackfruit. I had forgotten about an Asian grocery store in the city, so that will be fun! I never really *needed * to go there, so I'm very glad to have a reason to go now.

I feel pretty bad about buying her pellets, but may be necessary to make the switch to real food.

I'm having trouble finding whole nuts except for pecans. This is pecan country, and we've pulled baby trees several times planted by industrious squirrels...why can't they put them in better places?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Don't fall for that face. :angelic: That the whatcha doing and does it involve me look. She does seem like a happy camper though. Great colouring too. No wonder you are excited.
Yes, these photos seem to have a very sneaky look...maybe guaging just how much she can get away with in that moment. Pure sass?

So, just a week and a half left. I had another really great chat with her owner. Lots of background and life experiences, vocabulary, habits, all invaluable. Surprisingly she sounds excited for me and Monaco too. I'm so glad I will have her help going forward. The cage is here in all it's glory! It's so roomy! Thanks again to @SmallFeather for it and all the goodies she sent for Monaco! The time has flown while I was getting the house ready, and I thought it would be the anticipation that would kill me...nothing a week of baths and stretching won't cure. No wonder ceilings don't get painted very often!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So tomorrow morning we leave to go get Monaco! I have been jumping out of my skin all day. I'm told she has had a pedicure, has seen her travel cage, and has been irritated that she has not gone anywhere yet. Lucky that she likes to go places!

I will try to get you guys photos as soon as she is OK with me pointing the rectangle at her!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck and safe travels.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yay! Good luck and safe travels. I would be very excited too :)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Home safe and fed, stretching and already getting ready for bed... Telling me all about since before we got home. She's very talkative! We're both exhausted, so maybe I can get photos tomorrow.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Yay. Home safe and sound. Sleep well both of you.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more! I sounds like she Landed in an amazing home:) How wonderful that you have such good contact with her old caretaker, I wish I had that with one of my babies. Did she recogise your voice? That was a great Idea I think. Good luck with you new girl!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I think she recognized that a strange rectangle keeps talking... I played some for her of her mom's voice, but she was not impressed.... Like "yeah, lady, I know what that is... Gimme something new already."

I am so lucky she's been very patient with me. A different bird, or a scared bird and I would already have bites to bandage!

She said, wanna bath? So I thought she DID. It was a frenetic situation, but she's almost dry now, and saying that she's tired. "are you tired" over and over. Her mom said she tends to say what she wants, but I don't think that's true today. I think she's comforting herself with familiar phrases.

So smart! So accepting of everything! She's only done the freeze thing a few times, and has only said "are you scared" a few times today. She said it several times in the car yesterday. So, she's not eaten much, but is stretching, grooming, grinding, fluffing, and asks to be picked up and goes back into her cage easily.

I caught a couple shots on a stand I've been moving around the house for her to see each room on a familiar footing. It's hysterical to watch her bend her head around like that to make sure she sees everything. I am so enchanted!

Attachments

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh @Monaco she is gorgeous!

Her feather health looks really good. She clearly came from a loving place.

I know you have done your research and prepared carefully for her arrival so I feel pretty good!

Stay up to date on a things related to Ekkie diets, new things are being learned all the time! I am looking forward to seeing how she blossoms. :)

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I'm so jealous. You're really lucky to get an older bird that was raised in a loving home. Most rescue eckies come in terrible feather condition because of their specific diet. If you need some pellets because she's being stubborn, tops are alfalfa based and not fortified so not likely to cause problems. I use them in addition to freeze dried fruit and veggie mixes for Milo because he's stubborn and struggles to keep his weight up as is.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Thanks, guys. Yes, I feel very lucky. Kizmet, I think. Or is it kizmit? My Yiddish isn't very good...neither is my English or my pig Latin.

I would like to get her switched to chop and steamed veggies. So far papaya is a good treat item sometimes. I think it's going to take a while. She's very gentle taking things from my hand. I think I have a good system to stop her attempts to get to my shoulder, so that is making me feel better. She got on my mom's last night and snuggled and kissed her cheek...super cute, and I'm a little jealous of how much she likes my mother. She even sang her song, parts of twinkle twinkle little star. Super sweet.

She feels light (I have not attempted the scale yet) but she also laid a couple eggs last week. I would lose weight if I did that.

An hour later...

We've had a fright. I moved a chair in the bedroom and then suddenly the apocalypse was beginning. On the upside she made her way to the new cage from @SmallFeather, so I took the opportunity to move some of her things to it. She's still on top of it, but looks very interested in the food and bells and perches. She came with her cage and accouterments. I intended to wait to move her...guess I'll find out in the next hour or so if she's interested in sleeping in the new digs.

It's going to be a long few weeks trying to build a routine and a rapport.

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I got her to share a toy today... She finally thought it was something very interesting when I oohed and ahhhed and picked at it with my fingernails to make scratching sounds.

She also managed to get in my face, I won't even try to describe how it happened, but she was very gentle making kiss sounds and tasting my cheek. I was scared to move, but we made it through that exchange pretty quickly. I sang her song, and we did the blink game.

I am smitten! She's laughing and cooing saying "what's that?" in between beak grinding and kiss sounds. I hope that means she feels secure, but every now and then she says "are you scared?" and "it's okay." At one point I saw the tornado watch, and I swear she was asking if I was scared, then reassuring me.

Why did I wait so long to become a bird person?!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I think she recognized that a strange rectangle keeps talking... I played some for her of her mom's voice, but she was not impressed.... Like "yeah, lady, I know what that is... Gimme something new already."

I am so lucky she's been very patient with me. A different bird, or a scared bird and I would already have bites to bandage!

She said, wanna bath? So I thought she DID. It was a frenetic situation, but she's almost dry now, and saying that she's tired. "are you tired" over and over. Her mom said she tends to say what she wants, but I don't think that's true today. I think she's comforting herself with familiar phrases.

So smart! So accepting of everything! She's only done the freeze thing a few times, and has only said "are you scared" a few times today. She said it several times in the car yesterday. So, she's not eaten much, but is stretching, grooming, grinding, fluffing, and asks to be picked up and goes back into her cage easily.

I caught a couple shots on a stand I've been moving around the house for her to see each room on a familiar footing. It's hysterical to watch her bend her head around like that to make sure she sees everything. I am so enchanted!

Congratulations, she's absolutely beautiful
Wishing you many healthy happy years together.