• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monaco is barbering

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Okay, the foot preening was odd, but she just snipped the tips from the last primaries today, and is still grabbing at them as the day goes on. She is trimming her nails too.

She had a bath day before yesterday. No new food to speak of, but still eating a lot roudybush pellets. I am waiting for her to finish some grapes before I put any more pellets in her dish... She's resorting to a millet spray I stuffed in her foraging ball. Is she needing more fat while she's molting?
Hi! Don't feed her pellets! The extra vitamins in pellets cause nerve disorders in ekkies. Toe tapping, excessive barbering, and balance issues to name a few. My Archie was overfed pellets and is slowly recovering with a proper ekkie diet. Give her mainly fresh fruits and some veggies. You'll see improvement I promise!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow

Eggs are extremely beneficial containing all the essential amino acids (essential amino acid is one where the body cannot manufacture it on its own- it must be consumed), calcium, protein and cholesterol; many people dont know, but cholesterol is actually essential for brain function. Recently researchers found that eggs are actually something like 15% lower in fat and the yolk is one of the only sources of vitmin D (60% more than originally thought in the 90's).

In the wild, bird will in fat consume their own eggs, and the eggs of other birds. When I was studying Australian finches it was interesting to see how many of them would sacrifice their eggs when there was not an adequate amount of insects.

I prefer eggs hard boiled my reasoning is as such: The entire eggs is valuable and during cooking hard boiled it is self contained and cooked evenly and variably slowly.

* Absorption: Much like anything- what something is 'cooked in' often becomes partially absorbed: so if you cook it in a pan, whatever is in the pan (soap, oils, food residue) is partially absorbed. HOWEVER; boiled in a shell: the membrane is EXTREMELY high in vital nutrients (I and V collagen, glucosamine, chondroitin , hyaluronic acid) which are all important for joint health.

* Temperature: hard boiled egg is a even, slower cooking method that does have 'hot spots'. Cooking an egg in a pan, the egg may become 'crispy' on the edges or a percentage may end up burned, in which case it loses a lot of its nutritional content as protein becomes replaced with 'ash'.

@Monaco

That is actually great news! let me know! please share the recipe.
Buddy hates everything about hard boiled. Maybe if I ground or cut it into pieces & mixed it into his sprouts. Can only get scrambled into my wee Zon.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi! Don't feed her pellets! The extra vitamins in pellets cause nerve disorders in ekkies. Toe tapping, excessive barbering, and balance issues to name a few. My Archie was overfed pellets and is slowly recovering with a proper ekkie diet. Give her mainly fresh fruits and some veggies. You'll see improvement I promise!
Interesting! Your Ekkies get sprout access too... if I remember correctly?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Buddy hates everything about hard boiled. Maybe if I ground or cut it into pieces & mixed it into his sprouts. Can only get scrambled into my wee Zon.
Mash it with a fork.