• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Momma no longer wants to sit and egg is due to hatch in the next 24 to 48 hours (sad update #11)

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
I have a heating pad under a small plastic bin with a little cup of water heating up as an emergency response.

She's decided she is done with all this noise and isn't sitting on her egg as of 5 hours ago. I confirmed that the baby is still alive and is about 9 hours past internal pip. No crack on shell yet.

Does this look okay for the night if she continues to not sit on it?

I have it on medium. I don't have a thermometer. Ugh.

Attachments

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
Had to put it in there. Mom is done with it and preferred sleeping under a paper towel than sitting on the egg. Help lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Zara @Matto @Laurie

Hopefully someone will be on soon to help you with information.

Are you prepared for having to completely raise this chick on your own if it has been abandoned?

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
@Zara @Matto @Laurie

Hopefully someone will be on soon to help you with information.

Are you prepared for having to completely raise this chick on your own if it has been abandoned?
Sigh, yeah I am. I had to with a budgie once and so I know I can do it. I just hope the little one makes it. I bought Harrison's neonate and juvenile mix just in case this happened.

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
It wasn't getting warm enough. So, I tucked the egg under mom and dad while they're sleeping in their bed.

These birds.. she just needed to sit for like one or two more days! It'll be a little miracle if it hatches.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What species are these birds?

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
What species are these birds?
Black capped conure. We put a tiny safety hole and put him in his little warmer next to the humidifier. Just hoping for the best. He looked like he was struggling to breathe and it's been 24 hours now since he internally pipped.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It would be wise to set up a more effective brooder with a thermometer to check the temperature, purchase a thermometer to check the temperature of formula, and make sure you have syringes or handfeeding spoons and the other equipment you need to raise a baby. I have a feeling that even if this little one hatches you may to step in.

You should also consider whether you want this pair to breed again. Not all pairs make good parents and if they are not interested in the eggs and/or chicks, then it's a lot of risk for chicks and heartache for you. Personally I'd boil the eggs or swap out for dummies.

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
It would be wise to set up a more effective brooder with a thermometer to check the temperature, purchase a thermometer to check the temperature of formula, and make sure you have syringes or handfeeding spoons and the other equipment you need to raise a baby. I have a feeling that even if this little one hatches you may to step in.

You should also consider whether you want this pair to breed again. Not all pairs make good parents and if they are not interested in the eggs and/or chicks, then it's a lot of risk for chicks and heartache for you. Personally I'd boil the eggs or swap out for dummies.
Unfortunately, the baby didn't make it. I tried my best with what I had around the house, and he lived until just a couple hours ago, but he's gone.

I really don't want them to breed. I already bought dummy eggs. I just wanted to let her see this through and it just didn't work out.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really sorry to hear that. You have tried so hard for these little ones, and I hope that gives you some comfort.

BumblePea

Meeting neighbors
I'm really sorry to hear that. You have tried so hard for these little ones, and I hope that gives you some comfort.
Thank you. I think it's good to document situations like this too. It's so helpful when people are looking up information. I'm just gonna focus on my flock now :) No more eggs.. lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator