• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moluccan-medical conditions

LauraCarle

Moving in
Real Name
Laura Carle
Hello, I have 5 birds, sun conure, timneh, military macaw, umbrella cockatoo and Moluccan cockatoo. They are all rehomed birds. The reason I am here is because of my Moluccan, Buchee. Buchee was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in both knees, but the right one is much worse. We currently have him on some meds for inflammation and pain. My avian vet said we cannot amputate due to both legs are having severe joint problems. So when Buchee struggles to walk with his leg, we will have to put him to sleep. He is 33 years old and has had a rough life. He was taken from the wild and was quarantined in CA and 2 owners ago was stuck in a small cage and poked at when he made noise. Buchee also struggles with seizures (started about 8 years ago and I have had Buchee since 2006) which only show themselves for a few weeks after something stressful. He also struggles a bit to clot when bleeding. He is bonded to my umbrella too, Zoey, but they do have their separate cages. I found your site when trying to look up natural remedies for health issues. I have started reading all your information of natural herbs, etc. It's a bit overwhelming of what to do for Buchee. I probably need to talk with my vet with what I learn here. Thank you for your advise and having great resources for the health of birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have a 15 yo Quaker and a 19 yo African red bellied parrot with arthritis. Daily I give them either metacam or this morningbird product PAIN RELIEF. Vet has both formulations. Metacam only on rough days, the RB cries in pain when he flies if he skips a dose,

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My GW macaw had severe arthritis in her ankles. feet and legs. The Dr. and I tried several different combination of medications over the years and for the last few years of her life her pain was well controlled with the combination of Celebrex and Gabapentin. Her arthritis was so bad that two toes on her left foot had to be amputated because the joint had deteriorated so much that the pain couldn't be controlled.

I'm not a fan of naturalistic medications, so I can't give you any advice there.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Gabapentin is commonly used as an anti-seizure medication.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Laura,
I honestly wish I could offer some help but my guy Watson uses most of the meds already mentioned for his arthritis and seizures. I have mainly have changed his cage and out of cage activity. Everything is lowered and padded, lots of flat perches and lots of flagstone perches as they remain cool after I stick them in freezer for 20 minutes or warm after being soaked in hot water.

He's paired with a very calm, younger cheek who's happy to by his side napping or some light play and gets 12 hours of sleep in a pak o bird with lowerd perches made by the company for disabled birds so they don't fall when sleeping.

I know this really really doesn't answer your question but the meds, lots of sleep, a healthy diet and trying to maintain his comfort level while still letting him being a GCC (playful and silly) is all I can do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Your birds are beautiful. There are some basic things that might help some that you may already be doing- platform perches and rope perches? For that degree of arthritis, he obviously needs medication. However some natural things you can try (but I would double check with the vet that it won't somehow interfere with meds) are senior nutriberries. They are aimed at helping older birds and have things like glucosamine in them to help with joints, etc. I also give my oldest cockatiel Healthy Bird, https://christineschopshop.com/shop/ols/products/healthy-bird-anti-inflammatory, which contains tumeric etc

LauraCarle

Moving in
Real Name
Laura Carle
Laura,
I honestly wish I could offer some help but my guy Watson uses most of the meds already mentioned for his arthritis and seizures. I have mainly have changed his cage and out of cage activity. Everything is lowered and padded, lots of flat perches and lots of flagstone perches as they remain cool after I stick them in freezer for 20 minutes or warm after being soaked in hot water.

He's paired with a very calm, younger cheek who's happy to by his side napping or some light play and gets 12 hours of sleep in a pak o bird with lowerd perches made by the company for disabled birds so they don't fall when sleeping.

I know this really really doesn't answer your question but the meds, lots of sleep, a healthy diet and trying to maintain his comfort level while still letting him being a GCC (playful and silly) is all I can do.
Thank you. I have padding for him in the cage. I found a corner flat perch that I can place in his cage.

LauraCarle

Moving in
Real Name
Laura Carle
Welcome to the forum. Your birds are beautiful. There are some basic things that might help some that you may already be doing- platform perches and rope perches? For that degree of arthritis, he obviously needs medication. However some natural things you can try (but I would double check with the vet that it won't somehow interfere with meds) are senior nutriberries. They are aimed at helping older birds and have things like glucosamine in them to help with joints, etc. I also give my oldest cockatiel Healthy Bird, https://christineschopshop.com/shop/ols/products/healthy-bird-anti-inflammatory, which contains tumeric etc
Thank you. I will look into this.

LauraCarle

Moving in
Real Name
Laura Carle
Thank you!!