• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting - too many feathers?

Urchinia

Meeting neighbors
Forgive my newbieness.

My budgie, Mitten is just over a year old. Because of this, many of the typical budgie life stages are new to me.

Right now, he's losing a lot of feathers. First, I noticed when he flew across the room, he dropped 3 feathers, one from his tail and a couple of long wing feathers. Then, this week, there are dozens of body feathers littering the area where he likes to sit in his cage.

Is this typical of molting? He doesn't have any bald spots and aside from a little extra preening, he seems to be his typical self. I'm just concerned with the volume of feathers that I am finding.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd offer him a shower from a spray bottle. When some of mine moult, particularly the younger ones, I wonder how they have any feathers left! If you're very concerned, post a picture for the more experienced members of your budgie + the floor where Mitten is.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
one from his tail and a couple of long wing feathers. Then,
Those wing feathers will moult as pairs, so when one drops from one side, the matching feather from the other side will fall around the same time. I have also had two flight feathers and a tail feather drop in the space of a few minutes.
there are dozens of body feathers littering the area
When moulting, there will be a large amount of little feathers and floofies all over the place.
Usually, looking at your bird, you don´t see any bald patches, aside from the missing flight feathers.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When my budgie molts it honestly looks like a whole flock of budgies exploded. I’m honestly always amazed at how fast he drops so many feathers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When my budgie molts it honestly looks like a whole flock of budgies exploded
I had four or five moulting this last week, some days it looked like a cat had got in, feathers absolutely all over the place! :twist:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It is completely normal. Make you are feeding veggies to help develop those new feathers.

Urchinia

Meeting neighbors
Just wanted to update: you were right! It was just a very intense molt. He looked pretty ragged and lost a lot of feathers but quickly sprouted a ton of new ones. He's looking more and more handsome every day :) Thank you everyone for your reassurance!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
It's important to remember that every budgie moults differently. One of mine seems to ALWAYS be moulting and the other only seems to moult every 4 months or so. It's very individual to each budgie. But it does certainly seem hard to believe sometimes that they have any feathers left given the volume of feathers on the floor! A bath helps...

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
Just wanted to update: you were right! It was just a very intense molt. He looked pretty ragged and lost a lot of feathers but quickly sprouted a ton of new ones. He's looking more and more handsome every day :) Thank you everyone for your reassurance!
:needpics:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 2 budgies, one molts very discretly while the other will molt more often and cover the place with feathers..