• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting since 3 months old...

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi,
I'm a new bird owner. I just read on this forum today that green cheeks only starts molting around 6 months old. Mine has been molting since I got him and he was 3 months old. He is born in July and I got him in October. I am not sure what a molt looks like, but when he first came home there were a bunch of little head and chest feathers everywhere. So I thought he was molting. Right now there are only tail and wing feathers falling. So I was wondering if it is normal for him to have started molting at such a young age, since the chances that the breeder lied is pretty low. I would also known if it is normal for a bird to molt for months (he has been loosing feathers for 3 months and is still going...).
Thank you!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you have a picture of your bird? Any pictures of a feather he has lost?

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
The general estimate for age of first moult is 6 months, but in reality it is normal for it to be earlier or later. Mine had his first juvenile moult between 3-4 months. He is 6 months old now. He grew the pin feathers in first, dropped a ton of downy and smaller feathers and has been slowly dropping individual flight and tail feathers since then. There was about a month where it just constant, but it has slowed down significantly now.

BTW, your guy is gorgeous!

Last edited:

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
FWIW, this is our feather collection at 6 months old (plus 2 yellow budgie tail feathers). I stopped keeping all of the teeny fluffs because they are just so many of them.

20220125_204805.jpg

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Mojo started her first moult at three months she started dropping feathers the moment i brought her home and her first moult lasted 8-10 weeks.
Your conure is lovely

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
My budgies first molt seemed to last forever too.
At least in the budgies case, I know they replace ALL their feathers for the first molt.. (subsequent molts are more rotational), so that could be why it sometimes takes awhile.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Thank you guys! I am not sure why he's molt is so long.... It's been 3 month... I guess we'll see. At least it's not something I should be worried about.