• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting, Over Preening or Plucking?

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Hey guys! I hope you've all been well this year!!

Lately Frankie, my IRN, has been losing some of his larger feathers, not his soft fluffy downy ones. He looks molt-normal? His colour is a bit duller and he looks scruffier than normal, just like he does when he's molting, the only reason I'm concerned is that he hasn't got any pin feathers and I can see? He hasn't let me rub his head lately so I can't feel for them either.

He hasn't got any bald spots, none of his feathers look choppy or anything either so I'm just having trouble indentifying what's going on exactly

He's in bed right now so I don't have any photos, I can get some tomorrow, but I've got a picture of his feather that just dropped today which I'll attach.

All other behaviour is normal, so I'm not too concerned right now but I'd like to manage it early on if there is something going on.

Much appreciated as always!!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hard to tell based off the feathers themselves but nothing you said sounds particularly concerning.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The feather in the photo looks like a normal moulted feather to me. You can tell because the base of the feather is clean and tapered - it hasn't been chewed off or snipped off.

He may look a bit scruffy if he's going through a heavy moult.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Thank you guys!! I didn't think so either, I'm just confused because I don't see any pin feathers on him? Is this normal, have any of you experienced anything similar with your birds?

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Here are some photos of Frankie today! Ignore the old asparagus in the back, he didn't care for it :loltears:
He's handsome!
It looks normal to me. Tweety's just done with his molting and he lost all of his old tail and his clipped primary flight feathers
It took a little bit while to see pin feathers in those areas though.
As long as you don't notice broken feathers or bloody spots and change in his appetite and activity Hopefully it's just a molt