• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting or Beak & Feather in Wild Macaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Most of you are familar with my postings about Miami"s Feral Macaw Flock. Fuzzy and Scruffy , my two favorite and most friendly wild macaws, have been elsewhere for 6 months . They have a pattern of not coming April to Oct for several years now. They showed up yesterday and Fuzzy especially is very thin and his feathers are compromised; I think he is molting but appreciate roadies opinions. The pictures don't quite show how patchy, ,dirty and frayed his feathers look. The rest of the flock look great, but Fuzzy and Scruffy his Mom have always been the lowest on the totem pole.

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I dont know anything about macaws, but maybe hes not feeling well. I know they are wild, but its there any way you can intervien? He does look thin to me too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Perhaps they tried to nest? You should hang up some macaw nest boxes during breeding season. And give them loads of seed and nuts.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I'm positive it was molting. Fuzzy is starting to look better already- maybe all the rain we've had cleaned him up and the walnuts are helping too. He is getting to be more mature ; now he even stands sentry for his Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.