• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cosette Gagne

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cosette Gagne
Hello all!
This is my first post. I've been lurking on the forums for a bit. Got my Yellow sided GCC in March of this year. He is now 6 months old. I believe he has started molting but I'm not quite sure.
We have had a couple really nice, warm days here in New England. I took him for a walk last week and today is the first sign he's shown of possible molting. He woke me up 3 times this morning. Normally he wakes me up for breakfast on a weekend and I'm able to go back to sleep after that. Not today. (He is used to my work week schedule)
After that, I noticed him being very irritable and a significant behavior change. He is still chirping and alert as usual but he is scratching himself and preening like crazy. He is also biting much harder than normal. (It's normal for him to bite) It seems like he wants to be with me like normal but he also gets irritated much easier.
All he has lost so far are his little white tufty feathers. He's only had one pin feather this far so I figured this was too early too start molting...

This is my first bird so I'd appreciate any kind of feedback!
Thank you!

20190427_190811 (2).jpg

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA! Your baby is beautiful! What's his name?
I'm not sure exactly when they start molting but when my Jenday was six months he was molting and he was covered in pinnies for some time. Does your baby take baths in his water? Spritzing him with some water could help, what is the humidity like? I got a humidifier than helped both of my bird quite a bit.

Cosette Gagne

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cosette Gagne
His name is Jiji!
I bathe him every day as well as let him sit on a perch while I shower. I got a humidifier but have not hooked it up as I thought the humidness of the area I'm in would be enough. I will definitely change that if needed.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph

Kodigirl210

GCC’s molt body contour feathers at 5-6 months followed by tail and wing. It is a long process that will actually take a few months to complete - it is not instantaneous.

The little white floofies are a sign it’s begun. You will eventually see tons of pins on their head, cheeks and neck.

Look up information on how to help your GCC with the pins as he will need since it doesn’t have anyone else to help preen him. Usually I use my nails to help split the pin lengthwise.

He won’t be able to get to the pins on the top of his head or his cheeks so you need to be there at the ready.

Length of time you suffer will be very proportional to how much he suffers, so read up and be in the know. If there is a YouTube video on it I would seek it out or use Google to find written information.

There is nothing you can do to placate him except to speedily help him get rid of the pins. ;)

He’s a baby so he should be on a high performance pellet. If for some reason he is not, switch him to it. He needs the extra nutrients and protein for feather making. We don’t want to strip his growing body of that for feathers.

Other than that best of luck to you!

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
His name is Jiji!
I bathe him every day as well as let him sit on a perch while I shower. I got a humidifier but have not hooked it up as I thought the humidness of the area I'm in would be enough. I will definitely change that if needed.
Hi how did I work out last year with your Jiji? Was it molting? I bought a GCC in December who is now 7 months. About a month ago she started molting and the pins were there. Now she is starting to drop the little down feathers and some tail feathers. The scratching is what’s worrying me? What did you find out? We have a vet appointment tomorrow just to be sure. Any help would be great.

thanks

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They all scratch from time to time and that seems to increase with new feathers needing their sheaths removed.
At the moment my boy is being real difficult about sitting still long enough for me to get most of his pins that he cannot reach, so because he’s not cooperating with me he’s been scratching with his Dino toes like he is a junk yard dog with fleas. I see bits of feather casing dropping everywhere ( much like bad dandruff hehe) when he scratches.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
When the pinnies come in the feather inside needs to dry and allow the casing to be brittle. During this time, it's painful to bump some of them. I'd be a crab-butt during this time too. Then you will have the joy of hormones shortly after. Welcome and congrats. He is beautiful.

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
When the pinnies come in the feather inside needs to dry and allow the casing to be brittle. During this time, it's painful to bump some of them. I'd be a crab-butt during this time too. Then you will have the joy of hormones shortly after. Welcome and congrats. He is beautiful.
Noooo not hormones, say it ain’t so. Lol