• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Molting/feather questions

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Finn just turned a year old earlier this month! He's doing really well, I think. I still worry about all the things I haven't learned and am so afraid of doing something wrong or missing something. He is molting right now. Feathers dropping from time to time, but obvious new ones coming in. My only concern are some very tattered looking feathers on this wings (both sides). Is this normal or do I have a problem? These are the only ones of concern. TIA for your help!
IMG_6265 3.jpg

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know but sometimes feathers get Scruffy before they mold

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are those first three the old ones dropping out or are they the new ones just grown in? Pic is not the best and neither are my eyes lol. I am guessing they are the ones he is dropping going on how tatty they look but seeing the clipped feathers makes me then think they could be the newer feathers that have no support and are copping some damage from not having the protection of the rest of the feathers.
When they have been clipped a lot of the new feathers growing in have nothing to support them and it makes it hard for the new feathers to stay undamaged when they hit anything. I can see some clipped feathers, some broken bits and some tatty looking rough feathers..... my screen and my eye sight are not the best so I can not tell what is newer feathers and what is older worn out feathers.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It does look like it could potentially be barbering, but since he's so young it might just be the wear and tear of a baby who doesn't look after his feathers properly yet. A vet will be able to rule out any medical issues, but my baby pionus was super rough on her poor feathers while she was playing and looked a right mess sometimes.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It doesnt look like normal wear and tear to me. Even feather damage from being cooped up in a tiny transit cage is less severe than this

At one year old, baby wear and tear on feathers is a less likely explanation.

Than there is the clean horizontal cut on one of the secondary feathers which LOOKS LIKE a scissors was used

The primary feathers ( top of pic) could have been damaged by a beak

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
His wings were clipped when I got him. I haven't clipped them since. I'm going to schedule a vet check. If it is barbering? What do you suggest I do? His cage is big enough, I provide enrichment toys and he is spoiled with attention.