• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting Blues

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
How long does a first molt last ? My male blue parrotlet is going on 4 weeks. Just wondered. Will be also do it again in the fall ? . Do their molts get lighter as they do it more ? Just wondering. Thanks for any advice !

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Bowsey

Parrotlets typically have one large molt a year. This will include new flight feathers and tail. This major molt is a unique time for them and can lead to extra sensitive birds with more explosive parrotlet emotions, as they are dealing with the discomfort of new feathers. Please note that outside of this major molt body and head feathers replace themselves throughout the year. When the major molt wraps up in 6-8 weeks you will still see new pins on their heads. The new pins on their bodies are easily missed since your bird will tend to those without help from a friend.

I think your Bowsey is on a similar molt clock to my guys. Both my dudes finished their major molts recently maybe 2 weeks ago ? And Picard is precisely 1 week behind Neptune with each feather...which cracks me up. Neptune drops feather xyz and one week later like clockwork the same type of feather is found on the bottom of Picard's cage.

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
Thank you SO much for the information , I think mine might be on the eight week plan. Poor guy has been going for about 5 weeks and every day there are more and more. All over his face , head , neck and body. Like you say tail feathers , wing feathers. He’s a mess. I hope it ends soon as I can see how uncomfortable it makes him. . I help with the head and neck. Thanks for the great info!! Hopefully it will all be over soon and he will be his sweet little self again! . Stay safe !!