• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molt speed- when should I worry?

Raineywhether

Moving in
Hi! My boy Pippin is going through his four month molt, I think. It has been almost a week, and so far he has lost... One primary. And a teeny tiny cheek feather. And a bit of down fluff, but... Nothing else!
I am only concerned because I've read that their molts take "two to three weeks," and if that is so, then he is quite behind schedule.
He is more squawky and shy than usual, so all signs point to molt, but... When will the feathers happen?!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You have nothing to be concerned about. For some reason this Spring time molt for 2019 is full of feather loss and replacement. Miny birds began two months ago and lost wing and tail feathers. Started again back to back with body feathers. Its snowing feathers here now going on the third month. I have been picking them up with a pick up stick and dropping feathers in a bowl. Its a regular size bowl and it needed emptying 3 times already.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Ideal moults do take only 2-3 weeks, but nobody told our budgies. Jack my male has so far lost loads of of down, only 4 primary flights, and a single tail feather. And he has paused. Misty the female has only lost a few down feathers. This is all in 4 weeks so far.
My birds are young too, and this would be their four month molt. From what I remember the first moult is always slow anyway(?).
Has Pippin lost the front-most bars on his head yet?

Raineywhether

Moving in
Thank you both, I feel much better now. His head bars were always light- we actually thought he was four months when we got him, because he had 3 or 4 white feathers coming in over his bars. However, four months later, we think he must have just been the babiest baby when we got him, and was still growing his feathers! I'll update this when he loses a little more.
Edit: the short answer being no, he has not lost his bars yet hahaha

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane