• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molt? In February?

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Hi all,

I have a male grey Indian Ringneck named Merlin who will be a year old here in a couple weeks. I’ve never seen him molt in the 8 months we have had him but his feathers are starting to look like crap over the last couple weeks. I’ve read that they typically molt in the summer and also on their head so I’m confused as to whether this is actually a molt or if he’s plucking or if it’s something worse?

So far it seems just around his neck area and on his back between his wings. I’ve noticed a lot of fluffy down coming off of him and also he’s messing with that area a lot and breaking off feathers.

Ive included some photos. Just want to make sure he’s healthy and happy. He’s currently on a diet of Rowdybush pellets and homemade chop daily with seed when he is out on his stand.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So they can molt anytime of year technically, but Usually will do 1-2 big ones a year, shedding small amounts of feathers continuously.

When I look at your bird I am seeing a lot of downy feathers. In a molt, you will not really see down or bald patches. To me this looks more like feather destructive behavior. I personally would want my bird at the vet for a checkup as it is unusual for such a young bird to pluck or barber, and could be a sign of a health issue.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I second @Mizzely. This doesn't look like a moult, a vet check is a good idea.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My Jade is in this same condition. My vet confirmed he is a plucker. Now I won’t say this isn’t a heavy molt, it could be. However, I’d encourage a vet check. He could be molting feathers and plucking the ones that are annoying him. Start misting your boy once or twice a day, get him on a supplement for molting, I use breeder pellets and seeds as well as an egg omelet my vet suggested. Also, make sure he has plenty of toys and spend extra time with him. Even just a few seconds can alter behavior that could be bad.