• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Mold

JayT

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jay
Hello, everyone!

I'm brand new here, and came because I wanted more opinions to know if Concrobium is safe (there's a mold thread that says it is).
Situation: Our environment here in New England is such that I have to humidify my birds in the winter to 50%. In the summer, we have high humidity which can be up to 65% -70%.
My Moluccan, Malachi, is one of my best friends! He came to us as a rescue in 1996 at age 9, and he's now 34!
We've had a rainy summer, so his room has pretty high humidity. Lately he seems a bit ill-humored--- he's a Moluccan, so in his position as king of all he surveys, it's hard to tell... :) ---- . His poop is good, he sees an avian vet for check-ups, but I'm wondering if there's mild mold on surfaces that may be bothering him. When I open his door in the morning, it's a bit thick in there, and I sometimes feel a bit stuffy and headachy for a few minutes.
There's nothing visible, and nothing in the rest of the house or with other birds. No mildew smell.

I'm thinking of trying Concrobium, and would welcome advice and suggestions. Many thanks! So glad I found this forum!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Welcome to the forum! Sorry you haven't gotten any responses yet. I had never heard of concrobeium before so I just looked around a bit online and ended up checking out some Amazon (US site) reviews. It looks like most people had good results getting rid of mold and some said it did nothing. But what was most concerning to me, even though the product's states otherwise, was that people said the fumes were very harsh. So much so that they recommended goggles and an n95 face mask. That would make me very nervous to use with a bird in the house. Perhaps you can ask your avian vet what they think and if they think it's ok plan on keeping your bird at another location for a few days while things air out? That's just my 2 cents. I don't know much about the product that review alone would scare me.

Screenshot_20210709-020817_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I hooe others can chime in to help soon

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I checked their site but didn’t have much luck with viewing it all as my internet keeps dropping out :(

Seems like they have a few products… which one were you specifically thinking of using?

JayT

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jay
Hi
Welcome to the forum! Sorry you haven't gotten any responses yet. I had never heard of concrobeium before so I just looked around a bit online and ended up checking out some Amazon (US site) reviews. It looks like most people had good results getting rid of mold and some said it did nothing. But what was most concerning to me, even though the product's states otherwise, was that people said the fumes were very harsh. So much so that they recommended goggles and an n95 face mask. That would make me very nervous to use with a bird in the house. Perhaps you can ask your avian vet what they think and if they think it's ok plan on keeping your bird at another location for a few days while things air out? That's just my 2 cents. I don't know much about the product that review alone would scare me.

View attachment 388284

View attachment 388284

Hi, crazybirdchick, and thanks!
Yeah, I saw that guy's review, and a bunch of others. Some positive, some negative. I've got to figure this out, because the product I'm thinking of says it doesn't use bleach or other harsh things, and it's almost odor-free. Back to the drawing board, and I'll return with an update.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Whoops, I think I misread that review last night because I was tired. I think he meant the 45% vinegar smells harsh. Others commented that the concrobeium smelled "nice" or said it had no odor. Still I would be weary if it smells like anything but I guess that's better than needing an n95 and goggles. Sorry for my misunderstanding! I still think asking your vet would probably be the best bet. Good luck!