• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mojo update

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Many of you know I have been working with Mojo on training him and making him more tame. He eats treats out of my hand inside his cage now, won't let me touch him inside his cage. But we've made really good progress in the last month I've been training him. Weird thing is though, today, my hand was in the cage and he got spooked by something. He then flew in my direction and my hands were there, I caught him. I cupped my hands over him while resting in a chair. He then started puffing up, let me preen a bunch of his pin feathers, got all puffy and then started being affectionate towards me. Regurgitated or did that motion that parrotlets do and started chirping and doing little head bobs. Why is he so nervous in his cage but okay outside?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Their cage is their home so many birds are very protective/aggressive toward it so reaching inside for many is like breaking into your house and they will defend it with deadly force;)
Take them outside and they are on neutral territory and tend to be much more docile and friendly.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
So should I keep training him inside his cage or?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
His cage is his safe haven, and lots of birds are territorial and get scared when we "intrude".
Could you put a perch on the outside of his cage so he has the option to come out willingly for you to train him?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree with the others, I wouldn’t try to touch him inside his cage. Most of mine don’t like that, and will flee or bite if I tried, let him come out on his own and go from there:)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with the above. Parrotlets should have their little territory. It isn't required to invade their space. Let Mojo interact with you on common ground. :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ahhhh my quakers are berserkers
in the cage !

Put one perch high up in a corner farthest from food and water. Thsts now a no human zone . They can retreat there. Also add a small treat only dish by the door for treats.

And as all council, add perches in the outside by the door and one on the outside bear the top of cage to target abd work with them there. Ive also used a rolling stand perch that I can place right next to the cage, target them there then move it slowly a little farther from the cage to work with hands off birds.

I've always felt its easier to work with any burds away from the cage even knew who are nit cage protective

Do we get pictures of tge cutie?

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Yes I just ordered a treat bowl for him for inside his cage right by the door. Yes, been out of town but will get new pics of him tomorrow for sure