• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mojo and Kiki

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
I have never seen those other than on here, are you suppose to pull the green plugs out, put in a seed/treat and put the plug back? just trying to figure out if they are like a foraging option....

:think1:

And as I cannot find finger traps anywhere here, I have found videos on you tube on how to make my own, but again I am assuming I can put some treats in it the way I do in a straw...

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never seen those other than on here, are you suppose to pull the green plugs out, put in a seed/treat and put the plug back? just trying to figure out if they are like a foraging option....

:think1:

And as I cannot find finger traps anywhere here, I have found videos on you tube on how to make my own, but again I am assuming I can put some treats in it the way I do in a straw...
Yes the plugs are pulled out and treats placed inside some of the plugs have been destroyed by Mojo.
I do put treats inside finger traps generally larger treats pieces of nutriberri or Avi cake.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had to go into the office today for some IT testing on my laptop :bash: so i left the house at 7.30 and got home at 18.50 to be greeted by two grumpy birds it's the longest they have gone without seeing me.
Mojo had battered her 12 days of Christmas a bit more.

20211126_195524.jpg

KiKi had started on one of her toys i got from Seriously Nutz in the SWS

20211126_195550.jpg

I had a chill for a bit and then let them out KiKi actually stepped up onto my hand whilst i was loading the Nutz foot toys with seeds and pellets then realised she was on my hand and jumped off but great progress.

Then she got foraging

20211126_202246.jpg

20211126_202249.jpg

Mojo isnt happy with me as she hasnt seen me all day so being a bit nippy.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
KiKi is exploring my fingers with little nips from her beak :) this is excelent progress i have had to handle her a couple of times when she has crash landed in awkward places and this clearly made her weary of hands.
When handling her however she didnt bite or nip once the face she is giving me little nips on her terms is excelent well i think so.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pippen the last time we let her out landed on the floor and then gave me the please rescue me look so I carefully reached down and she hop right on and not once tried to bite me. She seemed quite pleased and then rode over by my sister and started leaning towards her so I let her hop on her shoulder. After that she was very nippy and aggressive again. Lately I say hi to her then say scratch? and she starts scratching herself and getting excited. Eventually she pushes her head to the bars and I scritch her till she flips around and tries to grab my finger. I tell her gentle and she mostly backs off and sometimes very gently nibbles and licks my finger, other times she tries to grab my nail so I pull it away if she bites too hard, she's learning too.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pippen the last time we let her out landed on the floor and then gave me the please rescue me look so I carefully reached down and she hop right on and not once tried to bite me. She seemed quite pleased and then rode over by my sister and started leaning towards her so I let her hop on her shoulder. After that she was very nippy and aggressive again. Lately I say hi to her then say scratch? and she starts scratching herself and getting excited. Eventually she pushes her head to the bars and I scritch her till she flips around and tries to grab my finger. I tell her gentle and she mostly backs off and sometimes very gently nibbles and licks my finger, other times she tries to grab my nail so I pull it away if she bites too hard, she's learning too.
I have seen a completely different KiKi tonight Terry she has been a pleasure and has only bit me when she was initially coming out i know what you mean about that look.
She has been so different tonight i was holding a foot toy she destroyed some of it then had a little taste of my finger.
So pleased how her confidence is growing Mojo fell asleep on my wifes shoulder KiKi fllew over to the couch my wife and Mojo where crashed out on then she jumped onto my wife chilled for a bit then went back to her cage i asked her to go to bed and she did..

Every day is a school day for us all we are learning about them and they are learning about us.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:bliss:kiKi stepped up tonight so pleased and so proud of her. No pics unfortunately as i had KiKi on one finger and a sunflower seed in my other hand.
I tried for a second step up but Mojo had noticed i was interacting with Keeks and went crazy so ended up having to get my hand between them
So positive getting the little Kicker to step up but then bit of a bummer Mojo going crazy.
Going to do some work with KiKi out on her own now i think as her confidence is growing so Mojo cant interfere.

Dont worry though Mojo isnt being forgotten about after i seperated her and Keeks she got all velcro with me and spent the last hour of her night out with me. 20211127_203632.jpg 20211127_203641.jpg 20211127_203809.jpg 20211127_203844.jpg 20211127_203850.jpg

The challenge now is finding a balance of KiKi being confident ( i think Mojo being out is a factor in this ) and me being able to work with KiKi without Mojo going bananas.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They have loads of toys but decide they want to play with the same one at the same time.
20211129_192905.jpg

KiKi getting much better at playing with toys now with a little help.

20211129_193210.jpg
She is also starting to be more confident with me stepped up again.

20211129_193713.jpg

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
They are both so cute. :heart: Way to go Kiki!! Keep up the good work Mojo!:dance5: :elefant:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
have just made another order with Nutz so i have stuff for the girls when we are away on our holiday next month ( pandemic permiting ) so pleased KiKI has made a start on her toys so have gone for some more balsa for her a couple of 12 days of Christmas Mojo has all but destroyed hers such have listened to @Peachfaced and one for KiKI
22 Sammiches they are so versatile and quickly getting destroyed, a couple of coconut toyboxes.
I am also going to order another 4 18" manzanita perches for KiKI's cage she doesnt climb half as well as Mojo however i did smile when i saw her hanging from the top of her cage for the first time this week she has a lovely Java multiperch that she doesnt go near it takes up a load of real estate so think i will remove it and aim to make a bit of a more KiKi freindly network for moving around the cage for her until her confidence grows.

So pleased with her progress this week her flying has improved massively and couldnt have been more pleased tonight when she saw i had a seed in my hand and flew and landed on my fingers i was in shock she is doing things on her terms and more power to her.

Got to stock up on Nutriberries for when we are away i have my son who is looking after them when we are away ( he is back home with us at the moment ) dropping one in there bowls daily in preperation for us being away.

Will need to grab another bag of zupreem for Mojo she has stopped eating the higgins in her cage but will eat it from her out of cage foraging box KiKI eats neither but dont want to add Roudybush to there foraging box as Mojo will be in like Flynn and sweep it all up i have a couple of unopened 44oz bags that i need to keep for KiKI as thats all she is eating pellet wise.

They have always popped in and out of each others cages without a issue until Wednesday night Mojo went into KiKis for some water ( usually not a issue ) and Keeks stood on her long manzanita platform on her door waited for Mojo to leave and it went balistic with Mojo ending up on the floor of KiKi's cage and me having to rescue her.

I closed the door of KiKI's cage tonight and made water available outside of her cage on top of Mojo's cage but need to rethink things a bit as thats not ideal if KiKi decides she want to go back into her cage.

everydays a school day.

Another note to self KiKi needs Avicakes