• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mixup with seedmix, curious If any of these Ingredients are BAD for Lovebirds.

Munekun

Moving in
Hi, a mixup order left me with a Seedmix that Is unusual for me as It was Intended for larger birds so I'm unfamiliar with quite a few of the Ingredients and wanted some more knowledge opinions on If any of these Ingredients are outright bad (or If any are good enough to be worth picking out) for Lovebirds. -Ingredient list attached as Image.

-I have read that the brick hard corn kernels can cause Issue so those are already on my no list.

(Note- I do not plan on using this as a replacement for my regular seed mix I just have the bag now and don't want it to go to waste even If I can just pick out some healthy Ingredients for my lovebirds.)

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:bump4:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
In my experience if seeds are too large or hard for a bird to crack or swallow whole they will leave them or throw them out of the bowl.

What ingredients are different to your normal food mix?

I would say regardless of what the differences are between the old and the temp seed mix, if it is a once off seed mix and is of a quality you are happy with, feeding it for a short time should not be a big problem.

What are your concerns with this mix?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I don’t personally see anything in there they couldn’t have. In general, my birds have ignored any hard corn pieces and just picked around them. I’m not crazy about how much fruit is in there, because Lovebirds don’t care much for them, and really don’t need much fruit anyways. But as a treat, I see nothing of issue here.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lovebirds don’t care much for them,
My little ones would leave all that dehydrated fruit and the corn pieces (or toss them out of the food bowl).

There is a Hagen food, a no waste mix, can´t remember the name right now, and they didn´t eat any of the dehydrated fruits in the mix. I never repurchased that stuff, too much waste with uneated foods.

Munekun

Moving in
In my experience if seeds are too large or hard for a bird to crack or swallow whole they will leave them or throw them out of the bowl.

What ingredients are different to your normal food mix?

I would say regardless of what the differences are between the old and the temp seed mix, if it is a once off seed mix and is of a quality you are happy with, feeding it for a short time should not be a big problem.

What are your concerns with this mix?
Thanks everyone for the replies. This mix has quite a few things In It that I've personally never fed my lovebirds, like the puffed cereal pieces and pumpkin seeds, so I just wanted an opinion of someone who knows better than I do just Incase there happened to be something controversial In It.

For example, I luckily have never fed my birds peanuts but I recently found out peanuts are believed to be susceptible to a certain type of mold spores or something, which I did not know of yet mixes continue to have peanuts In them. Little things like that make me more likely to ask around beforehand just Incase there is something I'm unaware of.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Pumpkin seeds are fine for parrots. Some eat them, others ignore them.

You'd be referring to aspergillus. It's nasty stuff. A few members of our forum have been through the ringer with it.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My little ones would leave all that dehydrated fruit and the corn pieces (or toss them out of the food bowl).

There is a Hagen food, a no waste mix, can´t remember the name right now, and they didn´t eat any of the dehydrated fruits in the mix. I never repurchased that stuff, too much waste with uneated foods.
I tried a sample bag, it was pricey like 4oz for $8 of the Dr. Harvey’s parakeet food, and it has all great ingredients, but my birds don’t love it like they do the nutriberries. They don’t love the fruits in there either. I’m interested to see if they like the garden veggie nutriberries because it is bigger in chunks and has visible corn, peas, carrots. They usually have the treats with smaller seeds

Attachments

Munekun

Moving in
Pumpkin seeds are fine for parrots. Some eat them, others ignore them.

You'd be referring to aspergillus. It's nasty stuff. A few members of our forum have been through the ringer with it.
Sorry to bother again I just want to check but do you think these pieces would make a decent treat for them? I believe they must be the puffed maize which I'm assuming Is close to popcorn.

Attachments