• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mixing parrot types

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Hello all
I was in my local pet store a few days ago looking for a buddy for my new 5-month old male cockatiel. While in the store where I adopted my cockatiel a lovebird landed on my shoulder and I was rather smitten. One of the assistants said it is fine to raise these 2 kinds of birds together, but that seems to fly (heh) in the face of my own online research. I realise in some ways mixing depends on age and personalities, cage sizes, separate cages or not and method of introduction. I chose to adopt a second young male cockatiel but I'm interested in hearing of anyone's experiences mixing different parrot types. Specifically cockatiels with lovebirds, green-cheeked conures or monk parrots. I know (from reading rather than experience) that some birds don't play well with other species, can be more active/aggressive/territorial and may just stress slash get on my cockatiel's tits (2 bird puns in one post!) Also budgies and cockatoos may be more compatible with my boys but I am less interested in the former and the latter aren't available here. Any sharing of experience would be welcome!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hi.
I have a mixed flock of budgies, quakers and a conure. All caged separate but out together.

Unfortunately I don't the experience with the cockateils and mix that you are looking for.

But I will be interested to see what others have to say.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Really not recommended to house different species together in a cage ever, a tiel and lovebird are especially not suited and the tiel is very likely to end up hurt or dead.
Tiels are pretty laid back, gentle and easy going and will be pushed about and bullied by even the tiny little budgies so it is really best to keep tiels caged alone or with other tiels rather than mix species- pet stores are well known for giving inappropriate and incorrect advice... their job is to make money and unfortunately many will do that anyway possible, most staff are not as well educated about the pets they sell as they should be so they are honestly the last place I would ever look to for animal care advice or information.
A cockatoo is way to dangerous to house a tiel with.
Best to always stick to the same species being housed together and keeping at the front of your mind that even the same species can sometimes be dangerous to each other.

I hope you either already know or had the store sales person remind you how important it is to quarantine your new bird and also be prepared to have a second cage full time as not all birds will get along or should be housed together.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Really not recommended to house different species together in a cage ever, a tiel and lovebird are especially not suited and the tiel is very likely to end up hurt or dead.
Tiels are pretty laid back, gentle and easy going and will be pushed about and bullied by even the tiny little budgies so it is really best to keep tiels caged alone or with other tiels rather than mix species- pet stores are well known for giving inappropriate and incorrect advice... their job is to make money and unfortunately many will do that anyway possible, most staff are not as well educated about the pets they sell as they should be so they are honestly the last place I would ever look to for animal care advice or information.
A cockatoo is way to dangerous to house a tiel with.
Best to always stick to the same species being housed together and keeping at the front of your mind that even the same species can sometimes be dangerous to each other.

I hope you either already know or had the store sales person remind you how important it is to quarantine your new bird and also be prepared to have a second cage full time as not all birds will get along or should be housed together.
Thank you very much for your reply. Yep the newest guy is being kept separate. I don't feel the shop owners really know much about these birds and so I am doing my own research elsewhere, including on here where I can seek advice from people who have the wellbeing of their birds suitably prioritized. I have several cages including a just-in-case cage. I've read elsewhere that tiels are more gentle and can be bullied as a result, so if i were to mix species (which i will say is becoming less and less likely) they won't be caged together. I will also carefully monitor the reactions and ongoing behaviour of my two boys when they are eventually introduced. I will do this gradually too. Thanks again for taking the time to advise me, much appreciated

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When you say they are being kept separate does that mean in a completely separate air supply?

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Don't forget that cockatiels are powder down birds while conures and quakers are not, so you will have to ensure good air quality for the non-powder down bird.

You can't guarantee that any two birds will get along, so make sure you enjoy the characteristics of whatever species you choose and are prepared to let them out separately if needed.

If you want to have a better chance of them getting along, a same-species companion is more likely to be successful. However, even that doesn't guarantee that a pairing will work.

For what it's worth, I have a mix of species and even though my tiny budgie hen is the one with the biggest attitude, it's the biggest beak (GCC) who rules the roost. He is 95% calm and fun, but I wouldn't trust him around any bird of any size if there is food involved.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Don't forget that cockatiels are powder down birds while conures and quakers are not, so you will have to ensure good air quality for the non-powder down bird.

You can't guarantee that any two birds will get along, so make sure you enjoy the characteristics of whatever species you choose and are prepared to let them out separately if needed.

If you want to have a better chance of them getting along, a same-species companion is more likely to be successful. However, even that doesn't guarantee that a pairing will work.

For what it's worth, I have a mix of species and even though my tiny budgie hen is the one with the biggest attitude, it's the biggest beak (GCC) who rules the roost. He is 95% calm and fun, but I wouldn't trust him around any bird of any size if there is food involved.
Hi thanks for the info! Yes i have been reading about dusty and not-dusty birds and also about tendencies towards respiratory sensitivities in some species. I will get an air purifier and do my best to address this issue. I have 2 male tiels and a quaker... I have really been drawn to the GCCs I have met but I am not getting the sense one would be a safe addition. I love my flock, no need to add more. Going to be disciplined :) Thanks again