• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mite

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hi,
I saw a red little insect on Nuka. Looked it up and could be red mite but checked her everywhere but can't find any other one. But was looking further and found out that my plant maybe has red spider mite. Could be transferred on Nuka? She always sit close to that plant.
I wanted to be rather safe than sorry so gave her and anti-parasite drops in her neck. Also want to disinfect the cage just in case if it is red mite. What would be best to use to clean the cage? Just the vinegar with water of something else?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I saw a red little insect on Nuka
You won't be able to see a mite. Maybe a money spider?
my plant maybe has red spider mite. Could be transferred on Nuka?
Red spider mite won't last long on a bird. Wrong kind of nutrition. Again you wouldn't see one.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
You won't be able to see a mite. Maybe a money spider?
Nope didn't look like it at all. My friend (she did a pet care study) said you are able to see them, especially if there alot of them (which they are).

Gave Nuka a bird safe anti-parasite, says to use to daily but vet adviced me to use every 3-6 months seeing she is an inside bird.

Just want to clean the cage fully incase there is red mite in her cage. Just not really sure what to use.

Only saw it for a second and after that didn't see it anymore or anywhere on her or in her cage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you googled how to kill red spider mites? A q1uick google brought up quite a list of ways to rid of them, there are a few options if they are indeed red spider mites...

One example:
Rubbing alcohol: The rubbing alcohol you have around the house also can kill spider mites. Soak cotton balls in rubbing alcohol and wipe across the foliage of infested houseplants. Let either the dish soap or rubbing alcohol sit on the plants a few hours, and then rinse the leaves thoroughly with water.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
With the common mites on parrots you'll see the damage they do before you see a population of mites.
However there is a red mite that generally infests poultry, and these are clearly visible. If there are chickens or other poultry birds anywhere near you then it's possible the mites could have made their way into your home on shoes or clothing. They can carry some major diseases.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Have you googled how to kill red spider mites? A q1uick google brought up quite a list of ways to rid of them, there are a few options if they are indeed red spider mites...

One example:
Rubbing alcohol: The rubbing alcohol you have around the house also can kill spider mites. Soak cotton balls in rubbing alcohol and wipe across the foliage of infested houseplants. Let either the dish soap or rubbing alcohol sit on the plants a few hours, and then rinse the leaves thoroughly with water.
Yes i found out how to kill on plants. Removed it from my room as well ^^

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
With the common mites on parrots you'll see the damage they do before you see a population of mites.
However there is a red mite that generally infests poultry, and these are clearly visible. If there are chickens or other poultry birds anywhere near you then it's possible the mites could have made their way into your home on shoes or clothing. They can carry some major diseases.
Have chickens at work but haven't been there in two weeks now and haven't hugged them much longer than that.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
But thank you all ^^ think I will just take the cage apart and clean it.