• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent missing tail feathers

bestpotato

Checking out the neighborhood
My Cockatiel, Jacky, has been losing his tail feathers gradually over the past few weeks. We've only have him for about 3 weeks and when we got him he only had 6 feathers on his tail. He's now left with one that looks like it's in the process of falling off. I've heard of birds losing all of his tail feathers at once after a stressful event like being grabbed, but never of one losing feathers over time. We do have cats but they have been very good around his cage and they're never around each other without supervision, in the cage or out. Even though we haven't had him for long I've really fallen in love with him and I don't want him to be sick and miss the signs. Please help!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How large is the cage? Sometimes they get their tail caught in the bars and release them that way. Younger birds in particular aren't very careful with their tails!

bestpotato

Checking out the neighborhood
his cage is 12" by 18" by about 3 ft. i plan on upgrading but a few bird forums said this was okay for a cockatiel. He's also only about 9 months old.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
With the 12" it's likely not enough clearance for his tail. A cockatiel is small but averages a 19.5" wingspan, so in that cage your bird cannot even fully stretch their wings. A 32x21 flight cage would be more appropriate and would allow his tail to have room to grow back in :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the only issue you see is tail feather loss, I'd say not to worry! :) They will grow back!

If there's other abnormal signs though, then it would be a vet visit!