• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Missing Rosebreasted Cockatoo

Kuzey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kuzey
Hello everybody!! The past 4 days have been extremely difficult for me. This Sunday when I was flying my birds out in Cider Mill Grassland Park in NJ, my Rosebreasted Cockatoo Money got chased by crows and flew on to a tree. I had rest of my flock with me so I was confident that once calmed, he was going to come back.

There were bunch of turkey vultures soaring above so he did not feel safe leaving the tree. Given he is a young bird, I waited in front of the tree until he enough confidence to come back. That day Money spent the night at the tree.

Next morning I went to the spot before sunrise and brought Sasha as an anchor bird. Money responded to the contact calls and flew towards us. His first attempt to descent wasn’t successful due to winds. He circled back then two birds chased him back onto a different tree. I spent the whole day waiting for him. He tried to come back one more time right before sunset but couldn’t descent and flew back on a different tree. Next day, I went to the area again before sunrise, as soon as I pulled over and step outside of the car, he called and flew towards me. He couldn’t quite figure out how to descend, circled couple of times then got harassed by couple of birds. He flew back into the woods and that was the last time I saw and heard from him. I spent the day and the next day in the area with Sasha calling him all day. He stopped responding which makes me believe he left the area.

I distributed 200 fliers, posted on social media, talked to the residents, called the animal control and shelters, all bird stores within tristate area and exotic and avian vets within the states and gave them heads up in case someone brings him in as their own pet.

Today is the 4th day he is on his own! I’ve been worrying so much that I can’t eat or sleep.

Sasha has also been deeply effected by this incident. She has been making contact calls all day and feel anxious. Her behaviors and mood changed every since Money went missing!

I am posting the lost flyer I prepared for him. I would extremely appreciate it if those of you who live in tristate area distribute the flier to their community, mention it to their neighbors and businesses and notify me if they hear or suspect someone newly acquired a Rosebreasted cockatoo from an unverifiable source.

Since I can not locate him, there is noting I can do other than rely on other people's help!

Please keep us in your prayers and send good vibes for Money’s safe return.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry Money is missing. Don't give up. Keep going to the last known area with Sasha. I hope you get Money back.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Good luck with getting Money back, this must be so stressful on everyone involved.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I wish you the best of luck getting your bird back. Just take slow deep breaths and things will work out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you find him soon. You can post on Parrot Alert that your 'too is missing. Also, I would contact you the local police too.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so sorry your bird is missing. I hope you get him back ❤

You can post on Parrot Alert that your 'too is missing. Also, I would contact you the local police too.
Good suggestions :)

Good luck!!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
I am sorry that your cockatoo is missing! :sadhug2:I hope that he comes home safe and sound. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that Money will find his way home soon.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Kuzey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kuzey
Thank you all for your kind messages!! I have posted all of the lost pet platforms parrot 911, petamberalert, various Facebook groups, I distributed 200 fliers within the surrounding area. Placed them inside mailboxes, put them on stop signs, electric poles, talked to any local I could stop. I called all shelters, animal controls, vetereniary offices, pet shops and bird stores within the tristate area. I called wild life centers, posted on birdwatching groups on Facebook. I have been checking Craigslist if anyone found or try to sell one.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! That's a lot of work! I did all that too....because I heard that when people find a dog, they post a notice but when they find a bird, they buy a cage. :(

I also rode my bike around and stopped every car in my neighborhood and told the story. And emailed the whole neighborhood too! Even the "snowbirds" who had gone back up north were having people check their yards down here for my bird.

Don't give up hope.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you all for your kind messages!! I have posted all of the lost pet platforms parrot 911, petamberalert, various Facebook groups, I distributed 200 fliers within the surrounding area. Placed them inside mailboxes, put them on stop signs, electric poles, talked to any local I could stop. I called all shelters, animal controls, vetereniary offices, pet shops and bird stores within the tristate area. I called wild life centers, posted on birdwatching groups on Facebook. I have been checking Craigslist if anyone found or try to sell one.
Very good idea checking Craigslist. My thought too was that if someone found him they might try to sell him. I hope you find him soon.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Praying for good news. Don't lose heart.

We've seen lost birds come home days, weeks, with one macaw, months later.

Kuzey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kuzey
I am not going to stop until I find him!! I don’t think I can!! My mind is constitutionally thinking about him. I continue my search from the moment I wake up. I can’t barely complete my daily routine. No cooking, eating, cleaning!! I can barely feed my other animals but I don’t get the joy I used to.

Today I called every single wild life centers, wild life parks and preserves in NJ and PA and spoke to park rangers and managers. I emailed them the lost bird fliers and asked them to distribute it. I think I called over 15 parks, started at 10 am and stopped when those places close, around 5pm.

I keep checking Craigslist, petfinder, birdsnow and birdbreeder.com daily. I have signed up for PetAmberAlert, they sent out the message yesterday. I got few emails back from people with kind hearth asking how could they help. I posted on birdwatchers and falconers groups on Facebook. Asked a resident from the neighborhood which Money was lost to post on Nextdoor. Couple residents from that neighborhood will play contact calls of galahs tomorrow in their backyard with the hope it will bring Money back. I live 70 miles away from where he was lost so leaving a cage outside in not an option for me. I live a block away from the Time Square.

I ordered a megaphone which will be delivered tomorrow. If I don’t hear anything by Saturday evening, I will go to NJ on early Sunday morning and play his contact calls while posting flyers within 5 miles radius of the rally point. I will target every grocery store, gas stations, parks, major intersections , shopping centers, stops signs and parking lots. I will also drop off fliers in mailboxes as I search the neighborhoods while playing contact calls.

Last resort, a kind resident from the neighborhood which Money was lost offered me to take me to Cider Mill trails on horseback so that I can search the wood area. It’s about 90 acres, hopefully I will find him before I have to do that..

Even if none of these works, I will periodically call vets and bird shops and check online platforms to see if anybody is kepping him as a pet or attempt to sell him for a quick cash.

I am really hoping that he is enjoying his time outside, flying as he wishes and chewing tree branches. When I think about predators I repeat in my head, “He is fully flighted, he can fly away!!” until that thought disappears.

Fellow free-fliers and people who have lost them found their birds give me hope. So many people have safely recovered their bird. I believe I will safely have him back home soon. And the first order will be getting them both microchipped!!

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I am not going to stop until I find him!! I don’t think I can!! My mind is constitutionally thinking about him. I continue my search from the moment I wake up. I can’t barely complete my daily routine. No cooking, eating, cleaning!! I can barely feed my other animals but I don’t get the joy I used to.

Today I called every single wild life centers, wild life parks and preserves in NJ and PA and spoke to park rangers and managers. I emailed them the lost bird fliers and asked them to distribute it. I think I called over 15 parks, started at 10 am and stopped when those places close, around 5pm.

I keep checking Craigslist, petfinder, birdsnow and birdbreeder.com daily. I have signed up for PetAmberAlert, they sent out the message yesterday. I got few emails back from people with kind hearth asking how could they help. I posted on birdwatchers and falconers groups on Facebook. Asked a resident from the neighborhood which Money was lost to post on Nextdoor. Couple residents from that neighborhood will play contact calls of galahs tomorrow in their backyard with the hope it will bring Money back. I live 70 miles away from where he was lost so leaving a cage outside in not an option for me. I live a block away from the Time Square.

I ordered a megaphone which will be delivered tomorrow. If I don’t hear anything by Saturday evening, I will go to NJ on early Sunday morning and play his contact calls while posting flyers within 5 miles radius of the rally point. I will target every grocery store, gas stations, parks, major intersections , shopping centers, stops signs and parking lots. I will also drop off fliers in mailboxes as I search the neighborhoods while playing contact calls.

Last resort, a kind resident from the neighborhood which Money was lost offered me to take me to Cider Mill trails on horseback so that I can search the wood area. It’s about 90 acres, hopefully I will find him before I have to do that..

Even if none of these works, I will periodically call vets and bird shops and check online platforms to see if anybody is kepping him as a pet or attempt to sell him for a quick cash.

I am really hoping that he is enjoying his time outside, flying as he wishes and chewing tree branches. When I think about predators I repeat in my head, “He is fully flighted, he can fly away!!” until that thought disappears.

Fellow free-fliers and people who have lost them found their birds give me hope. So many people have safely recovered their bird. I believe I will safely have him back home soon. And the first order will be getting them both microchipped!!
This must be so emotionally draining for you! I have a feeling you will get him back :heart:.

Kuzey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kuzey
@Yoshi&Raphi It really is!! I never thought it was going to be this hard! It is harder than if he had passed! The unknown factor is killing me!! There are so many what-ifs! When I think about predators, I keep repeating in my head "He is a fully flighted healthy bird, he can avoid predators"

I do too believe in my heart we will unite. I think he is enjoying his outdoor time, flying free at liberty and developing his flight and survival skills.

My best friend of 15 years is a famous tarot reader in Turkey. He is always on point, especially when he reads me, as we are connected by the heart. He has pulled few cards for Money and immediately said " He flew East. He will be brought to you by a man. It might take some time tho."

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
@Yoshi&Raphi It really is!! I never thought it was going to be this hard! It is harder than if he had passed! The unknown factor is killing me!! There are so many what-ifs! When I think about predators, I keep repeating in my head "He is a fully flighted healthy bird, he can avoid predators"

I do too believe in my heart we will unite. I think he is enjoying his outdoor time, flying free at liberty and developing his flight and survival skills.

My best friend of 15 years is a famous tarot reader in Turkey. He is always on point, especially when he reads me, as we are connected by the heart. He has pulled few cards for Money and immediately said " He flew East. He will be brought to you by a man. It might take some time tho."
That’s good!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Keep seaching!