• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Missing nail / toe

mak

Rollerblading along the road
My son looked in the cage and saw blood everywhere. Our new(ish) Tiel lost a nail and maybe part of his toe. I have no idea what happened. The only thing I can think of is that he caught it on something. After several unsuccessful attempts to stop the bleeding we finally got it to stop and he is now in a small separate cage (no perches just floor) with seeds and water.
What should I do now?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Call avian vet cuz it's going to be painful for awhile.

mak

It's night here now so I'll try him in the morning. A few of my family have Covid so prob. can't get into a vet to have him seen.
I covered most of his cage but it looks like he climbed onto the seed box to eat. I'm taking that as a good sign.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best thing is to monitor. Take to vet if you see swelling, change in color, or if your bird picks at the area. Perhaps you can call the vet and send a photo of the wounded area.
Check the cage thoroughly to possibly find whatever the foot/toe may have gotten caught on.
I would recommend applying some Vetericyn if you can get that. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ntimicrobial-wound-and-skin-hydrogel-for-pets

mak

Thank you for your reply.
He was picking at it at first, which is one of the reasons it took us so long to stop the bleeding. He has now stopped picking at it.
I tried to figure out what he got caught on but the blood was everywhere and I didn't see any specific place it might have happened.
That product looks great but we don't have petco here :( I found this on amazon MicrocynAH Wound and Skin Care but it won't help for now as delivery takes a few weeks.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many vets are offering curbside drop-off so you don't come into contact with the vet or their staff. The vet will then phone you to discuss your bird and to work out a treatment plan. Do call your vet practice to see what you can arrange - at the very least, your bird needs pain medication.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for your reply.
He was picking at it at first, which is one of the reasons it took us so long to stop the bleeding. He has now stopped picking at it.
I tried to figure out what he got caught on but the blood was everywhere and I didn't see any specific place it might have happened.
That product looks great but we don't have petco here :( I found this on amazon MicrocynAH Wound and Skin Care but it won't help for now as delivery takes a few weeks.
You can order Vetericyn from Amazon. Microcyn seems to be similar.

mak

Thankfully he seems to be doing fine and upon closer inspection, it seems he lost only the nail. We're working on getting the pain meds.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Seems alot of places have it. Its that Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl) (0.0120%

Seems to be good stuff. Can also get it for cleaning & mix it.

Seems like its good stuff to have around

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@mak isn't in the US so giving links to shops that only exist in the US isn't helpful.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oppps was not aware of that as there is no location on the profile which would have been helpful in an emergency situation. Just trying to help.

Reactions: mak