• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Missing my babies!

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Hello all!

I live in Sydney Australia and because of the recent downpour I had to relocate my birds because of a mould issue while I have had it out with strata. The painter is coming to treat the ceilings in the next couple of days. Repairs have also been carried out under the building to promote ventilation.

My birds are in a safe, clean environment at my friends house but I feel bad for them because they are in smaller travel cages. Not in their flight cages. My tiel is flying around but my budgies have been too nervous to take to the wing. They aren't cared for the way they are with me. I do appreciate my friend and her efforts to learn their needs and how to keep them safe.

I feel bad for them though. I feel a little like I failed them even though I know home isn't healthy for them atm and they prolly wouldn't survive the bleach treatment my entire apartment is about to endure.

I had to manhandle my budgies a little to relocate them (as briefly as possible) because they are quite wild. I just miss them all terribly and my home isn't welcoming without the birdo jungle sounds.

:(

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You put you birds safety first, so you made the right decision. Maybe you can take the flight cage for the budgies if the wait is still really long since they can't come out.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you have somewhere else to stay too, while this is fixed. Mould and bleach are both bad for people too.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
The ceiling has been cleaned of mould and repainted. The subfloor ventilation has been repaired. I am going to throw open the place for a couple of days then bring my babies home.

I have one question though about my budgies. They have been too nervous to take advantage of their out of cage time at my friends house so I am eager to get them back in the air. After a couple of weeks away from home will they remember and feel safe to get out about again?

Before relocating them they had a traumatizing visit at the vet. She failed to close the door when examining one and lost grip. Luna nearly flew out. I had to lunge and wave my hands to deter her from the exit. I was too worried to slam the sliding door shut in case I hurt her. The vet then chased her into flying against a wall and sliding to the floor behind a machine.

Since then I lost a lot of trust, I was no longer able to touch them. but they had just started landing on me again and next to me when I was chilling watching a movie.

Will this new unfortunate experience make them fearful? I would of course like to interact with my birds but mostly I want to see their beautiful wings open and have my jungle sound lounge room back.

What do you think?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure.

I'd recommend double checking that the above plan is fine fume wise though. @JLcribber

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It will probably going to be a place of comfort fir them considering that they have been there most of their lives. It's almost inevitable to not lose a budgies trust because of how skittish and flighty they are, but you will be able to gain their trust back.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
I finally got my flock home. I was concerned they would be skittish but I opened their travel cage, turned to walk away to give them space...Then I heard the beating of wings and saw colourful blurs passing me by. The first time my budgies had flown in two weeks.

My tiel was always flying but never comfortable for proper cuddles. Within an hour he was back on my shoulder asking for scritches. Within an hour my budgies were drinking water and tucking their little faces into their wings for a nap. All things my colleague had not been able to observe.

I feel so happy and grateful to have my flock back in a healthier home and we are like family again. I am pretty confident they feel the same :)