• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Missing Her

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Christine was with me for 16 years. It has been 3 years since she died. Whenever I was coloring she liked to be right next to me. How we miss them no matter how long they have been gone. IMG_0271.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She was beautiful. Hugs

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She was gorgeous!

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ready for a story? And feel free to call me crazy at the end! I accept!

One of my longtime girlfriends got adopted by a calico cat when we were in junior high school together. It literally followed her home from school one day. That cat truly loved her, and she loved that cat back. I remember my friend getting her “silly shot” of her high school graduation photos with that cat. That same friend and I went on to college and grad school together as well, so naturally we rented a house together to save money. And Of course the cat (Daisy) came too. Daisy even got a tiny spoonful of graduation cake from me when we finally did graduate. As an elderly cat, Daisy was there when my friend nearly died from a kidney infection- I found my friend semi-unconscious on her bathroom floor with Daisy licking her face and desperately trying to keep my friend warm. My friend attributed Daisy as the reason why she didn’t fade into the hereafter.

When Daisy was diagnosed with incurable end stage cancer, my friend made the heart wrenching decision to euthanize that same day because she didn’t want Daisy in any more pain. That cat was amazing, and will always be remembered as being such. We were there for the sprinkling of Daisy’s ashes near her favorite koi pond.

Two months after Daisy’s death, I stopped by my friend’s house. I swear I saw Daisy (and her shadow) in the stairwell. I didn’t say anything, because I questioned my very own sanity. Grief does crazy things, right? A year later, at my friend’s daughter’s first birthday party, darned if I didn’t see Daisy’s and her shadow again! This time Daisy was heading to the bathroom where her litter box was always kept. Still, I said nothing. But I wondered if I was secretly going nuts, because that was twice me seeing a dead kitty.

Three years after that, a sorority Christmas party at my friends house, Daisy’s faint outline walked into the corner shadow of the basement when I was there getting more Tom Collins mix. I was either seriously drunk or seriously crazy! I went upstairs and loudly announced to the rest of our friend group that Daisy the cat was haunting me or that I was officially cut off from booze the rest of the night.

My bombshell announcement got everyone talking. Each person- our entire Sorority-who had a great cat leave them, all had glimpses of their cats every so often. They’d see them or feel their presence in the room. One friend said she would find her late cats hair in a place it never could have been (brand new couch) if the dear departed cat didn’t visit in spirit. Each and every single person had a story- glimpses or feels, whispers of their cherished kitties. Some just had moments where they said they felt the love from their departed kitties fill the room. My friend gently let me know that Daisy’s shadow showed up regularly, often when she and I hung out like we were young college kids again.

This all makes me believe that cherished kitties somehow can cross that rainbow bridge back into our world sometimes. If they were well and truly loved in this world, they must get a key that allows them to get back here occasionally in spirit. They always looked out for us, and a change to the other side doesn’t stop that. So I think you’re either overdue for a sweet spirit visit from Christine, or she’s visited you already. And if she has, you’re not crazy. I truly believe, it’s a cat thing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I truly believe your stories about Daisy. I experienced similar episodes where i felt Christine jump on my bed with me. Or i saw brief shadows of her walking on the floor. Herd her sweet soft meow a few times too. I think maybe they are not ready to leave us completely for a while.

I brushed and cleaned her teeth most every night but near the end they all fell out. Made no sense to me. She would not eat any kind of food and lost several pounds. That plus kidney disease were just too much to overcome.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I truly believe your stories about Daisy. I experienced similar episodes where i felt Christine jump on my bed with me. Or i saw brief shadows of her walking on the floor. Herd her sweet soft meow a few times too. I think maybe they are not ready to leave us completely for a while.

I brushed and cleaned her teeth most every night but near the end they all fell out. Made no sense to me. She would not eat any kind of food and lost several pounds. That plus kidney disease were just too much to overcome.
Christine loved you. So she comes back. I wonder if they watch us sleep?? In Daisy’s case, I’m absolutely positive she does.
Earthly bodies suck. I’m glad there’s no illness beyond that rainbow bridge.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I lost my dog about a month ago, and yesterday I bumped into an older gentleman while we were both waiting for takeout.

He looked at me & spoke to me like he knew me, but I had never seen him before.

"It's finally feeling like spring out, I like that".
"The wind can stop any time though, it's been too windy".
"I had best be running, but I'll see you again".

I know I'm reading a lot into those fairly common statements, but each felt like things my dog would say if she could, and it was comforting to believe it was her somehow.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I lost my dog about a month ago, and yesterday I bumped into an older gentleman while we were both waiting for takeout.

He looked at me & spoke to me like he knew me, but I had never seen him before.

"It's finally feeling like spring out, I like that".
"The wind can stop any time though, it's been too windy".
"I had best be running, but I'll see you again".

I know I'm reading a lot into those fairly common statements, but each felt like things my dog would say if she could, and it was comforting to believe it was her somehow.
I could actually see dogs “sending” messages!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Christine was absolutely gorgeous! Sixteen years, wow, she lived quite a long life. I am still missing my Ling Ling, who was also a long haired Calico. She passed in April of 1992.
When I buried her, I taped a note on to the kitty statue:

Seasons will come and seasons will go,
but our Ling Ling we'll miss you so.

I'm so glad we had these lovely kitties in our lives.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They say time heals all wounds and I think that's a crock. Those wounds are still there; we just learn to live with them. Your kitty was beautiful :) :hug8:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful cat!! It’s so lovely how she liked to hang out with you while you worked :swoon:

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
Awe I had a longhair tortie too, named Gemini since her face was black and orange split down the middle. I lost her to corona in 2008 but I still miss her. She was the best even when she would jump onto your stomach in the middle of the night knocking the air out of you. She played fetch and always announced her arrival with a “frrrrrrrrow”. I got her at the shelter at 8 years old and she decided she was the mama kitty when I took her home, grooming my two younger cats. She was always there to cuddle and much more loving than my other cats. It was a strange adjustment, you keep expecting them to be there when you know they’re not. It’s been a long time now and I still miss her.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I got Christine as a kitten from the Humanes society. She had a sentence on her intake paper which said unwanted. Hard to imagine that. Vet thought she was mostly Maine Coon because of her size.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unwanted....:(
It's good that she was wanted by you, though, and was given a wonderful home where she was loved and cared for.
I remember the last time I was at the animal shelter (when I got Caleb) there were people in line turning in their dogs or cats.
It made me very sad. This is a kill shelter.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Our humanes society received a huge donation 2 years ago and they got almost a complete re build. It is much better now. I so want another adult cat but my life at this stage it would not work.