• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Miss Sunshine

Caique2Luv

Moving in
I have been following this forum for a while. I am new on how to use this.

I have spent months doing research and how to best take care of my little parrot. She is pretty spoiled, and quite beakie.

This is Little Miss Sunshine, my 9 month old White Bellied Caique. I am trying to train Miss Sunshine on how to do tricks. But some of the YouTube information sites say it is best for the parrot to be hungry.

I have a food dish with fresh water, & food (80% pellets, 10% seeds, 10% conure feed mix) in her cage castle all day. Is it OK to have food in her cage all day long?? Any suggestions?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thread moved from Conure court to Caique cul de sac for better visibility :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's very pretty!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your bird looks lovely! I don't think it's best for anything to be hungry. Beyond being mean, how could they concentrate?
:eating:

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
What an adorable birb! I love the name Little Miss Sunshine. It's such a sweet name and it looks like it suits her! :heart:

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I have been following this forum for a while. I am new on how to use this.

I have spent months doing research and how to best take care of my little parrot. She is pretty spoiled, and quite beakie.

This is Little Miss Sunshine, my 9 month old White Bellied Caique. I am trying to train Miss Sunshine on how to do tricks. But some of the YouTube information sites say it is best for the parrot to be hungry.

I have a food dish with fresh water, & food (80% pellets, 10% seeds, 10% conure feed mix) in her cage castle all day. Is it OK to have food in her cage all day long?? Any suggestions?
My boys don't ever get sunflower seeds in their regular diet so when we do training sessions they will do anything for one. It makes it super easy and they are very eager. Just find a seed or food item they don't get in their regular diet (something very small preferably). It should be pretty easy to train them after that. Just make sure the food item is still bird food (no potato chips or the like).

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's such a cutie pie and I love her name!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovely bird

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
My boys don't ever get sunflower seeds in their regular diet so when we do training sessions they will do anything for one. It makes it super easy and they are very eager. Just find a seed or food item they don't get in their regular diet (something very small preferably). It should be pretty easy to train them after that. Just make sure the food item is still bird food (no potato chips or the like).
I haven’t tried sunflower seeds with my caique yet, but man he’ll do anything for an almond sliver or a small piece of walnut. He makes the happiest little clucking noises when he’s chowing down on a piece of walnut that he’s earned or managed to forage out of a toy. Don’t think he dropped a single crumb of walnut the first time I offered him a piece to see if he liked them enough for me to use as a training reward. Never seen a parrot eat so efficiently before in my life lol

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I cant wrap my brain around making a bird earn its food. Treats, thats a whole 'nutha ball game. I have been in the practice of watching the bowl activity between 11 - 2 before dinner. Mango wakes up hungry and after his monster morning poop I just let him be happy. I have 4 dishes in his cage: Pellet Variety, Favorite Veg and Experiment bowl, Water. My guy is still in the early stages of age, newly homed and abundantly weaned. We are not at the trick stage, just step up and bonding. Currently he is tossing grapes, I just cant think about any training until he is satisfied first. Listen for the feeding noises and try to time when he is just calm and do some nuts. I have a special perch for training otherwise he will just fly to his cage if he isnt interested. Caiques are easily bribed and love the accolades ! I do a 10 min train session before dinner then its PLAYTIME ! Its too cute watching his determined beak shred stuff.