• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Miss Maggie, a new foster!

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
A recent move across the country has turn out to be beneficial in unexpected ways... After a frustrating and discouraging experience with another rescue earlier this year we finally found one in our new state that has exceeded our expectations. With their help we managed to safely rehome our female ekkie Ellie, and as of a last update she is happily bonding with a male that is finally able to provide her with the companionship and stimulation she has always craved. Though I'm sure she is much happier now that her natural breeding instincts are not being constantly repressed, I still have lingering guilt and sadness over our untimely separation. It sucks feeling like you've failed. :( For she was difficult, and we were definitely not able to provide a good environment for her, but over time she had really grown on me. I'm definitely not giving up on large, difficult birds, but can say I have SO much more respect for those that have the space, time, and resources necessary to give these guys another chance.

Fast forward a month or so. After interacting with a few more birds at the rescue the owner thought she had the perfect fit for our home. Not only that but she was happy to let us foster a bird first to see how things go, given our unlucky history. She couldn't have been more right!

Meet Maggie, a matronly senegal of 21 years. I think it's so cool that she is the same age as my baby sister! :D
IMG_2140.jpg
She LOVES her scritches. It's only been a couple weeks so far but since day one she has been nothing but sweet and well-adjusted. Even with forced toweling twice a day for meds she has yet to hold a grudge or exhibit any aggression.
IMG_2147.jpg
Yaaaaaaawn. :p
IMG_2133.jpg IMG_2127.jpg
We are absolutely delighted with Maggie's adorable personality and are even more excited that our happy flock dynamic has not been disrupted. Overall I am so glad we finally found such an awesome bird, one that we can definitely see becoming a permanent member of the flock if the next few months continue to go so smoothly. :)

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
She's such a cutie! :heart:
I hope all works out and that she fits in well with your flock. :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maggie is a sweet sennie for sure :swoon:

:congrats5:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She is adorable!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
She's gorgeous! I've always loved sennies!

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
She's such a cutie! :heart:
I hope all works out and that she fits in well with your flock. :)
Thanks! Fingers crossed! I think the most hopeful signs so far are her complete disinterest in the other birds AND the fact that my SO is totally in love with her already. :laugh: Kevin is the only bird he's bonded well with so far as the p'lets tend to be total momma's boys, so he tends to be less enthused about new birds. But since his desk is right next to Maggie's cage he now spends most of the day whistling back and forth with her or "dancing" to Micheal Jackson which is SO CUTE.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
She looks so wonderfull and at peace :) i am sure she will be a wonderful adition to your flock :)

Molo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maureen
Congrats, are those yellow eyes, so pretty!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's wonderful! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Maggie.

Pied

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
This is awesome! She's beautiful and seems so content! I'm fostering a Sennie too but mine came from a less socialized environment. Good luck! I think you'll enjoy her! (PS. Sometimes I stalk you on /rparrots)

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
@Pied Thanks! And good luck with your own Sennie! I hope to see/hear more about them both here and at /r/parrots. :laugh:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Congratulations on getting her. She looks adorable!